After section 19 of the principal Act, the following sections shall be inserted, namely:-
19A. Qualifications for election of directors elected by shareholders.-
(1) The directors elected under clause (c) of section 19 shall-
(a) have special knowledge or experience in respect of one or more of the following areas, namely:-
(i) Agriculture and rural economy,
(vii) Small-scale industry,
(viii) Any other area the special knowledge of, and experience in, which in the opinion of the Reserve Bank shall be useful to the State Bank;
(b) Represent the interests of depositors; or
(c) Represent the interests of farmers, workers and artisans.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1) and notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Act or in any other law for the time being in force, no person shall be eligible to be elected as director under clause (c) of section 19 unless he is a person having fit and proper status based upon track record, integrity and such other criteria as the Reserve Bank may notify from time to time in this regard and the Reserve Bank may specify in the notification issued under this sub-section, the authority to determine the fit and proper status, the manner of such determination, the procedure to be followed for such determinations and such other matters as may be considered necessary or incidental thereto.
(3) Where the Reserve Bank is of the opinion that any director of the State Bank elected under clause (c) of section 19 does not fulfil the requirements of sub-sections (1) and (2), it may, after giving to such director and the State Bank a reasonable opportunity of being heard, by order, remove such director.
(4) On the removal of a director under sub-section (3), the Central Board shall co-opt any other person fulfilling the requirements of sub-sections (1) and (2), as a director in place of the person so removed, till a director is duly elected by the shareholders of the State Bank in the next annual general meeting; and the person so co-opted shall be deemed to have been duly elected by the shareholders of the State Bank as a director.
19B. Power of Reserve Bank to appoint additional directors.-
(1) If the Reserve Bank is of the opinion that in the interest of banking policy or in the public interest or in the interests of the State Bank or its depositors, it is necessary so to do, it may, from time to time and by order in writing appoint, with effect from such date as may be specified in the order, one or more persons as additional directors of the State Bank.
(2) Any person appointed as additional director under sub-section (1) shall,-
(a) Hold office during the pleasure of the Reserve Bank and subject thereto for a period not exceeding three years or such further periods not exceeding three years at a time as the Reserve Bank may, by order, specify;
(b) Not incur any obligation or liability by reason only of his being an additional director or for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith in the execution of the duties of his office or in relation thereto; and
(c) Not be required to hold qualification shares in the State Bank. (3) For the purpose of reckoning any proportion of the total number of directors of the State Bank, any additional director appointed under this section shall not be taken into account.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.