(1) The appropriate Government shall, on a request made by the State Bar Council in this behalf, cause to be printed and distributed Advocates' Welfare Fund Stamps of the value of five rupees or such other value, which may be prescribed, inscribing therein "Advocates" Welfare Fund Stamp", in such design as may be prescribed.
(2) Every stamp referred to in sub-section (1) shall be of the size 2.54 c.m. by 5.08 c.m. and sold to the advocates.
(3) The custody of the stamps shall be with the State Bar Council.
(4) The State Bar Council shall control the distribution and sale of the stamps through the State Bar Associations and the State Advocates' Associations.
(5) The State Bar Council, the State Bar Associations and the State Advocates' Associations shall keep proper accounts of the stamps in such form and manner as may be prescribed.
(6) The State Bar Associations and State Advocates' Associations shall purchase the stamps from the State Bar Council after paying the value thereof as reduced by ten per cent, of such value towards incidental expenses.
(1) Every advocate shall affix stamp of a value of-
(a) Five rupees on every Vakalatnama filed by him in a District Court or a court subordinate to the District Court;
(b) Ten rupees on every Vakalatnama filed by him in a tribunal or other authority or a High Court or the Supreme Court: Provided that the appropriate Government may prescribe the value of the stamps not exceeding twenty-five rupees to be affixed under this sub-section;
Provided further that the appropriate Government may prescribe different value of the stamps to be affixed on every Vakalatnama to be filed in a District Court, or a court subordinate to the District Court or a tribunal or other authority or a High Court or the Supreme Court.
(2) The value of the stamp shall neither be the cost in a case nor be collected in any event from the client.
(3) Any contravention of the provisions of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) by any advocate shall disentitle him either in whole or in part to the benefits of the Fund and the Trustee Committee shall report such contravention to the State Bar Council for appropriate action.
(4) Every stamp affixed on every Vakalatnama filed before a District Court or a court subordinate to the District Court or a tribunal or other authority or a High Court or the Supreme Court shall be cancelled in such manner as may be prescribed.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.