Indian Bare Acts



Year : 1981

(1) No person shall be employed as a cine- worker in or in connection with the production of any feature film unless,-

(a) An agreement in writing is entered into with such person by the producer of such film; or, where such person is employed through a contractor or other person, by the producer of such film and such contractor or other person; and

(b) Such agreement is registered with the competent authority by the producer of such film.

(2) Every agreement, referred to in sub- section (1) shall,-

(a) Be in the prescribed form;

(b) Specify the name of and such other particulars as may be prescribed with respect to, the person to whose employment it relates (hereafter in this sub-section referred to as the employee);

(c) Specify the nature of assignment of the employee, his hours of work, the wages and other benefits (including benefits by way of provident fund, if any), to which he is entitled; the mode of payment of such wages and contributions to such provident fund and all other terms and conditions of employment;
(d) Include, where such employee is employed through a contractor or other person, a specific condition to the effect that in the event of the contractor or other person failing to discharge his obligations under the agreement to the employee with respect to payment of wages or any other matter, the producer of the film concerned shall be liable to discharge such obligations and shall be entitled to be reimbursed with respect thereto by the contractor or other person.

(2) A copy of the agreement referred to in sub- section (1) with respect to the employment of any person as a cine- worker shall, if such person is entitled to the benefits of provident fund under section 16, also be forwarded by the producer of the film to the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner concerned under the Employees' Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952 (19 of 1952).

The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint such number of persons as it thinks fit to be conciliation officers charged with the duty of mediating and promoting the settlement of any dispute (hereinafter referred to as the dispute) between a cine- worker and the producer of the film in, or in connection with, which he has been employed or the contractor or other person through whom he has been so employed, with respect to the terms and conditions or termination, of employment of such cine- worker.

(1)Where any dispute exists or is apprehended, the conciliation officer may hold conciliation proceedings in the prescribed manner.

(2) The conciliation officer shall, for the purpose of bringing about a settlement of the dispute, without delay, investigate the dispute and all matters affecting the merits and the right settlement thereof and may do all such things as he thinks fit for the purpose of inducing the parties to come to a fair and amicable settlement of the dispute.

(3) If a settlement of the dispute or of any of the matters in dispute is arrived at in the course of the conciliation proceedings, the conciliation officer shall send a report thereof to the Central Government together with a memorandum of the settlement signed by the parties to the dispute.

(4) If no such settlement is arrived at, the conciliation officer shall, as soon as practicable, after the close of the investigation, send to the Central Government a full report setting forth the steps taken by him for ascertaining the facts and circumstances relating to the dispute and for bringing about a settlement thereof, together with a full statement of such facts and circumstances and the reasons on account of which, in his opinion a settlement could not be arrived at.

(5) If, on a consideration of the report referred to in sub- section (4), the Central Government is satisfied that there is a case for reference to a Tribunal, it may make such reference under section 11 and where that Government does not make such a reference, it shall record and communicate to the parties concerned its reasons there for.

(6) A report under this section shall be submitted within three months of the commencement of the conciliation proceedings or within such shorter period as may be fixed by the Central Government:

Provided that, subject to the approval of the conciliation officer, the time for the submission of there port may be extended by such period as may be agreed upon in writing by all the parties to the dispute.

Last updated on September, 2016

Find a Lawyer