Indian Bare Acts

Search Alphabatically :



Year : 1978

Any person subject to this Act who considers himself aggrieved by a finding or sentence of any Coast Guard Court may present a petition to the Central Government or to the Director General, and the Central Government or the Director-General, as the case may be, may pass such orders thereon as. it or he may think fit.

(1) Where any person is tried under the provisions of this Act, the Central Government or the Director-General may, in the case of a conviction,-

(a) Set aside the finding and sentence and acquit or discharge the accused or order him to be re-tried ; or

(b) Alter the finding without modifying the sentence if such sentence may be legally passed on the altered finding;or

(c) With or without altering the finding, reduce the sentence or commute the punishment awarded for any punishment inferior in scale ; or

(d) Either with or without conditions, pardon the person or remit the whole or any part of the punishment awarded; or

(e) With or without conditions release the person on parole:

Provided that a sentence of imprisonment shall not be commuted for a sentence of detention for a term exceeding the term of impri-
sonment awarded:

Provided further that nothing in this sub-section shall authorise the Central Government or the Director-General to enhance the sentence.

(2) Any sentence modified under the provisions of sub-section (1) shall be carried into execution as if it had been originally passed.

(3) If any condition on which a person has been pardoned or has been released on parole or a punishment has been remitted is in the opinion of the authority which granted the pardon, release or remission not fulfilled, such authority may cancel the pardon or release or remission and thereupon the sentence awarded shall be carried into effect as if such pardon, release or remission had not been granted:

Provided that in the case of a person sentenced to imprisonment or detention, such person shall undergo only the unexpired portion of the sentence.
Last updated on June, 2016

Find a Lawyer

Legal Hall of Fame

The current Legal Luminaries of India, the credible names in the legal circle along with those who would be the leading stars of the next decade. These are some of the reliable names in field of law. Nominate the Legal Stars of tomorrow


Recent Judgment

Sudha Mishra vs. Surya Chandra Mishra( R.F.A 299 of 2014

The Hon'ble High Court of Delhi in Sudha Mishra vs. Surya Chandra Mishra (R.F.A 299 of 2014)has ruled that a woman has a right over the property of her husband but she cannot claim a right to live in the house of her parents-in-law


Bare Acts

Helpline Law provides a user friendly compendium of Indian Law & Bare Acts. Get a complete list & detail of Indian Bare Acts, with amendments and repeals. It comes with easy-to-use features like Search by bare acts & by year. You can even email the information to yourself!


Have a Legal Matter ?
Need a Lawyer?

Have a Legal Matter ?

Need a Lawyer?