- Legal Research
- Find a Lawyer
- Hall of Fame
- Professional Services
- Legal Consultation
- Legal Help
Sec233A - Power of Central Government todirect special audit in certain cases.
(1) Where the Central Government is of the opinion-
(a) that the affairs of any company are not being managed in accordance with sound business principles or prudent commercial practices ; or
(b) that any company is being managed in a manner likely to cause serious injury or damage to the interests of the trade, industry or business to which it pertains ; or
(c) that the financial position of any company is such as to endanger its solvency ;
the Central Government may at any time by order direct that a special audit of the companys accounts for such period or periods as may be specified in the order, shall be conducted and may by the same or a different order appoint either a chartered accountant as defined in clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 2 of the Chartered Accountants Act, 1949 (38 of 1949) (whether or not such chartered accountant is a chartered accountant in practice within the meaning of that Act) or the companys auditor himself to conduct such special audit.
(2) The chartered accountant or the companys auditor appointed under sub-section (1) to conduct a special audit as aforesaid is hereafter in this section referred to as the special auditor.
(3) The special auditor shall have the same powers and duties in relation to the special audit as an auditor of a company has under section 227.
Provided that the special auditor shall, instead of making his report to the members of the company, make the same to the Central Government.
(4) The report of the special auditor shall, as far as may be, include all the matters required to be included in an auditors report under section 227 and, if the Central Government so directs, shall also include a statement on any other matter which may be referred to him by that Government.
(5) The Central Government may by order direct any person specified in the order to furnish to the special auditor within such time as may be specified therein such information or additional information as may be required by the special auditor in connection with the special audit ; and on failure to comply with such order such person shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five thousand rupees.
(6) On receipt of the report of the special auditor, the Central Government may take such action on the report as it considers necessary in accordance with the provisions of this Act or any other law for the time being in force :
Provided that if the Central Government does not take any action on the report within four months from the date of its receipt, that Government shall send to the company either a copy of, or relevant extract from, the report with its comments thereon and require the company either to circulate that copy or those extracts to the members or to have such copy or extracts read before the company at its next general meeting.
(7) The expenses of, and incidental to, any special audit under this section (including the remuneration of the special auditor) shall be determined by the Central Government (which determination shall be final) and paid by the company and in default of such payment shall be recoverable from the company as an arrear of land revenue.
The current Legal Luminaries of India, the credible names in the legal circle along with those who would be the leading stars of the next decade. These are some of the reliable names in field of law. Nominate the Legal Stars of tomorrow
Sudha Mishra vs. Surya Chandra Mishra( R.F.A 299 of 2014
The Hon'ble High Court of Delhi in Sudha Mishra vs. Surya Chandra Mishra (R.F.A 299 of 2014)has ruled that a woman has a right over the property of her husband but she cannot claim a right to live in the house of her parents-in-law
Helpline Law provides a user friendly compendium of Indian Law & Bare Acts. Get a complete list & detail of Indian Bare Acts, with amendments and repeals. It comes with easy-to-use features like Search by bare acts & by year. You can even email the information to yourself!