Indian Bare Acts

Search Alphabatically :

The Companies Act, 1956

Title : The Companies Act, 1956

Year : 1956

Sec625    -     Payment of compensation in cases of frivolous or vexatious prosecution.

    (1) In respect of any case instituted upon the complaint of a shareholder against the company or any officer thereof in pursuance of section 621, the provisions of section 250 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898 (5 of 1898), shall not apply ; and the following provisions shall apply instead.

    (2) If the Magistrate by whom any such case is heard discharges or acquits all or any of the accused and is of opinion that the accusation against them or any of them was false and either frivolous or vexatious, the Magistrate may, by his order of discharge or acquittal, if the shareholder upon whose complaint the accusation was made is present, call upon him forthwith to show cause why he should not pay compensation to such accused, or to each or any of such accused when there is more than one, or if such shareholder is not present, direct the issue of a summons to him to appear and show cause as aforesaid.

    (3) The Magistrate shall record and consider any cause which such shareholder may show ; and if the Magistrate is satisfied that the accusation was false and either frivolous or vexatious, he may, for reasons to be recorded, direct that compensation to such amount as he may determine be paid by such shareholder to the accused or to each or any of them, not exceeding one thousand rupees in all.

    (4) The Magistrate may, by the order directing payment of the compensation under sub-section (3), further order that, in default of payment, the shareholder ordered to pay such compensation shall suffer imprisonment for a term not exceeding two months.

    (5) When any person is imprisoned under sub-section (4), the provisions of sections 68 and 69 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) shall, so far as may be, apply.

    (6) No person who has been directed to pay compensation under this section shall, by reason of such order, be exempted from any civil or criminal liability in respect of the complaint made by him :

      Provided that any amount paid to an accused person under this section shall be taken into account in awarding compensation to such person in any subsequent civil suit relating to the same matter.

    (7) A complainant who has been ordered to pay compensation under sub-section (3) by a Magistrate may appeal from the order, in so far as it relates to the payment of compensation, as if such complainant had been convicted on a trial held by such Magistrate.

    (8) Where an order for payment of compensation to an accused person is made, the compensation shall not be paid to him before the period allowed for the presentation of the appeal under sub-section (7) has elapsed ; or, if an appeal is presented, before the appeal has been decided.

Last updated on May, 2015

Find a Lawyer

Legal Hall of Fame

The current Legal Luminaries of India, the credible names in the legal circle along with those who would be the leading stars of the next decade. These are some of the reliable names in field of law. Nominate the Legal Stars of tomorrow


Recent Judgment

Sudha Mishra vs. Surya Chandra Mishra( R.F.A 299 of 2014

The Hon'ble High Court of Delhi in Sudha Mishra vs. Surya Chandra Mishra (R.F.A 299 of 2014)has ruled that a woman has a right over the property of her husband but she cannot claim a right to live in the house of her parents-in-law


Bare Acts

Helpline Law provides a user friendly compendium of Indian Law & Bare Acts. Get a complete list & detail of Indian Bare Acts, with amendments and repeals. It comes with easy-to-use features like Search by bare acts & by year. You can even email the information to yourself!


Have a Legal Matter ?
Need a Lawyer?

Have a Legal Matter ?

Need a Lawyer?