(1) As soon as maybe after the commencement of this Act, the Central Government shall constitute a Board to be called the Copyright Board which shall consist of a Chairman and 3*[two other members].
4*[(2) The salaries and allowances payable to and the other terms and conditions of service of the Chairman and other members of the Copyright Board shall be such as may be prescribed:
Provided that neither the salary and allowances nor the other terms and conditions of service of the Chairman or any other member shall be varied to his disadvantage after appointment.]
(3) The Chairman of the Copyright Board shall be a person who is, or has been, a Judge of 2[***] a High Court or is qualified for appointment as a Judge of High Court.
5*[(4) The Central Government may, after consultation with the Chairman of the Copyright Board, appoint aSecretary to the Copyright Board and such other officers and employees as may be considered necessary for the efficient discharge of the functions of the Copyright Board.]
1. Substituted by Act 38 of1994, sec. 5 for "eight" w.e.f. 10-5-1995.
2. The words "the Supreme Court or" omitted by Act 38 of 1994, sec. 5 w.e.f. 10-5-1995.
3. Substituted by the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 2012 (Act No. 27 of 2012) w.e.f. 21.06.2012 for the following: - "not less than two or more than 1[fourteen] other members" 4. Substituted by the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 2012 (Act No. 27 of 2012) w.e.f. 21.06.2012 for the following :- "(2) The Chairman and other members of the Copyright Board shall hold office for such period and on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed. "
5. Substituted by the Copyright (Amendment) Act, 2012 (Act No. 27 of 2012) w.e.f. 21.06.2012 for the following :- "(4) The Registrar of Copyrights shall be the Secretary of the Copyright Board and shall perform such functions as may be prescribed. "
(1) The Copyright Board shall, subject to any rules that may be under this Act, have power to regulate its own procedure, including the fixing of places and times of its sittings:
Provided that the Copyright Board shall ordinarily hear any proceeding instituted before it under this Act within the zone in which, at the time of the institution of the proceeding, the person instituting the proceeding actually and voluntarily resides or carries on business or personally work for gain.
Explanation.-In this sub-section "zone" means a zone specified in section 15 of the States Reorganisation Act, 1956 (37 of 1956).
(2) The Copyright Board may exercise and discharge its powers and functions through Benches constituted by the Chairman of the Copyright Board from amongst its 5*[members"]:
1*[Provided that, if the Chairman is of opinion that any matter of importance is required to be heard by a larger Bench, he may refer the matter to a special Bench consisting of five members.]
(3) If there is a difference of opinion among the members of the Copyright Board or any Bench thereof in respect of any matter coming before it for decision under this Act, the opinion of the majority shall prevail:
2*[Provided that where there is no such majority, the opinion of the Chairman shall prevail.]
(4) 3*[The Chairman] may authorise any of its members to exercise any of the powers conferred on it by section 74 and any order made or act done in exercise of those powers by the member so authorised shall be deemed to be the order or act, as the case may be, of the Board.
(5) No member of the Copyright Board shall take part in any proceedings before the Board in respect of any matter in which he has a personal interest.
(6) No act done or proceeding taken by the Copyright Board under this Act shall be questioned on the ground merely of the existence of any vacancy in, or defect in the constitution of, the Board,
(7) The Copyright Board shall be deemed to be a Civil Court for the purposes of 4*[sections 345 and 346 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)] and all proceedings before the Board shall be deemed to be judicial proceedings within the meaning of sections 193 and 228 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860 (45 of 1860).
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.