(1) The common profits of the property shall be distributed among, and the common expenses shall be charged to, the apartment owners according to the percentage of the undivided interest of the apartment owners in the common areas and facilities.
(2) Where the apartment owner is not in the occupation of the apartment owned by him, the common expenses payable by such apartment owner may be recovered from the person in the occupation of the apartment.
No apartment owner may exempt himself from liability for his contribution towards the common expenses by wavier of the use of enjoyment of any of the common areas and facilities, or by the abandonment of his apartment.
All sums assessed by the Association of Apartment Owners, but unpaid for the share of the common expenses chargeable to any apartment, shall constitute a charge on such apartment prior to all other charge except only-
(i) The charge, if any,on the apartment for payment of Government and municipal taxes; and
(ii) All the sums unpaid on a first mortgage of the apartment.
(1) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any law relating to local authorities, each apartment and its percentage of undivided interest in the common areas and facilities appurtenant to such apartment (including an apartment in respect of which the provisions of this Act were applied under the proviso to section 2 shall be deemed to be separate property for the purpose of assessment of tax on lands and building livable under such law and shall be assessed and taxed accordingly; and for this purpose a local authority shall make suitable regulations to carry out the provisions of this section.
(2) Neither the multi-stored building nor the property nor the common areas and facilities referred to in sub-section (1) , shall be deemed to be separate properties for the purpose of the levy of such taxes.
(1) Upon the sale, bequest or other transfer of an apartment, the purchaser of the apartment or the grantee or legatee or the transferee, as the case may be, shall be jointly and severally liable with the vendor or the transferer for all unpaid assessments against the vendor or transferer for his share of the common expenses up to the time of the sale, bequest or other transfer, without prejudice to the right of the purchaser, grantee, legatee or transferee to recover from the vendor or the transferer any amount paid by the purchaser, grantee, legatee or transferee thereof.
(2) Any purchaser, grantee, legatee or transferee referred to in subsection (1) shall be entitled to a statement from the Board or Manager setting forth the amount of the unpaid assessment against the vendor or transferer, as the case may be, and such purchaser, grant, legatee or transferees hall not be liable for, nor shall the apartment be sold subject to a charge for any unpaid share of common expenses against such apartment accursed prior to such sale, bequests or other transfer, in excess of the amount set forth in the statement.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.