An Act to provide for the rationalisation of the production and supply of electricity, and generally for takingmeasures conducive to 2*[electrical development].
whereas it is expedient to provide for the rationalisation of the production and supply of electricity, for taking measures conducive to 2*[electrical development] and for all matters incidental thereto; It is hereby enacted as follows: -
(1) This Act may he called the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1 [except the State of Jammu and Kashmir].
2*[(3) This section and sections 2, 3, 4, 4A, 4B, 4C, 15A, 18A, 26A, 28 to 34 (both inclusive), sub-section (2) of section 39, section 42, sub-section (3) of section 43 and sections 57. 57A, 57B, 58, 75A, 76, 77, 77A, 77B, 77C, 82 and 83 and the provisions of the 3 [Sixth Schedule] shall come into force at once.]
(4) The remaining provisions of this Act shall come into force in a State on such date, not later than two years from the coming into force of the sections, Schedule and Table mentioned in sub-section (3), as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint:
Provided that the Central Government may as respects any State extend the said period of two years and in such event the remaining provisions of the Act shall come into force in that State on such date, not later than the extended period, as the State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
4*[(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (4), -
(a) Where any provision of this Act, to which sub-section (4) applies, is in force in any State immediately before the commencement of the Electricity (Supply) Amendment Act, 1978 (23 of 1978), that provision as amended by the Electricity (Supply) Amendment Act, 1978 (23 of 1978), shall on and from such commencement, be in force in that State;
(b) The provisions of this Act, to which sub-section (4) applies, which are not in force in any Stale on the commencement of the Electricity (Supply) Amendment Act, 1978 (23 of 1978), shall come into force in that State on such date as the State Government may, with the concurrence of the Central Government, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.]
In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(1) "Authority" means the Central Electricity Authority constituted under section 3;
(2) "Board" means a State Electricity Board constituted under section 5;
(3) "Bulk-licensee" means a licensee who is authorized by his licence to supply electricity to other licensees for distribution by them;
1*[(3A) "Competent government" means the Central Government in respect of a Generating Company wholly or partly owned by it and in all other cases the Government of the State in which the generating station of a Generating Company is located or proposed to be located;]
(4) "Controlled station" means a generating station designated in a scheme sanctioned under Chapter V as a controlled station;
2*[(4A) "Generating Company" means a company registered under the Companies Act 1956 (1 of 1956) and which has among its objects the establishment operation and maintenance of generating stations;]
(5) "Generating station" or "station" means any station for generating electricity, including any building and plant 3*[(with step-up transformer, switch-gear, cables or other appurtenant equipment, if any)] used for that purpose and the site thereof, a site intended to be used for a generating station, and any buildings used for housing the operating staff of a generating station, and where electricity is generated by water-power, includes penstocks, head and tail works, main and regulating reservoirs, dams and other hydraulic works, but does not in any case include any sub-station 4 [***];
(6) ''Licensee" means a person licensed under Part II of the Indian Electricity Ac), 1910 (9 of 1910) to supply energy or a person who has obtained sanction under section 28 of that Act to engage in the business of supplying energy 5*[but, the provisions of section 26, or 26A of this Act notwithstanding, does not include the Board or a Generating Company];
(7) "Main transmission lines" means all height pressure cables and over-head lines (not being an essential part of the distribution system of a licensee) transmitting electricity from a generating station to another generating station or to a sub-station, together with any step-up and step-down transformers, switch-gear and other works necessary to and used for the control of such cables or overhead lines, and such buildings or part thereof as may be required to accommodate such transformers, switch-gear and other works and the operating staff thereof;
6*[(8) "Maximum demand" in relation to any period shall, unless otherwise provided in any general or special order of the State Government, mean twice the largest number of kilowatt-hours or kilo-volt-ampere-hours supplied and taken during any consecutive thirty minutes in that period;]
7*[(8A) "Power system" means all aspects of generation, transmission, distribution and supply of energy; and includes the following or any combination thereof-
(a) Generating stations;
(b) Transmission or main transmission lines;
(e) Load dispatch activities;
(f) Mains or distribution mains;
(g) Electric supply-lines;
(h) Overhead lines;
(i) Service lines;
(9) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules 8*[made under this Act];
9*[(9A) "Regional Electricity Board" means a Board constituted by resolution of the Central Government for a specified region for facilitating the integrated operation of the power systems in that region;
(9B) "Regional Load Dispatch Center" means the Center so designated for a specified region where the operation of the power system in that region and the integration of the power system with other regions and areas (within the territory of India or outside) are co-ordinated;]
10*[(9C) "State Load Dispatch Center", in relation to a State, means the Center so designated where the operation of the power system in that State and integration of such State power system with other power system are co-ordinated;]
(10) "Regulations" means regulations made by the Board under section 79;
(11) "Reserve Bank" means the Reserve Bank of India;
11*[(11A) "Sub-station" means a station for transforming or converting electricity for the transmission or distribution thereof and includes transformers, converters, switch-gear, capacitors, synchronous condensers, structures, cables and other appurtenant equipments and any buildings used for that purpose and the site thereof, a site intended to be used for any such purpose and any buildings used for housing the staff of the sub-station;
(11B) "Tie-line" means a line for the transfer of electricity between two, power systems together with switch-gear and other works necessary to, and used for, the control of such line;]
12*[(12) "Transmission lines" means all works mentioned in sub-section (7) used wholly or partially for the purposes of distribution or transmission of energy;]
(13) "Year" means, in relation to the Board 12*[or a Generating Company], the year commencing on the 1st day of April;
(14) "Year of account" means, in relation to a licensee, his financial year;
(15) Other expressions have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Indian Electricity Act, 1910 (9 of 1910).
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.