(1) No act or proceeding of a Food Corporation or a committee thereof or a Board of Management shall be invalid by reason only of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of the board of directors of the Food Corporation or such Committee or Board of Management.
(2) No act done by any person acting in good faith as a member of a board of directors of a Food Corporation or of a Board of Management shall be deemed to be invalid by reason only of his disqualification for being appointed as, or for being, a member of such board of directors or Board of Management.
A Food Corporation may, by general or special order in writing, delegate to the Chairman or any other member of the board of directors or the Secretary or other officer of the Corporation, subject to such conditions and limitations, if any, as may be specified in the order, such of its powers and functions under this Act as it may deem necessary.
Every director, member of an Advisory Committee or other committee, auditor, officer or other employee of a Food Corporation and every member of a Board of Management and its staff shall, before entering upon his duties, make a declaration of fidelity and secrecy in the form set out in the Schedule.
(1) Every member of the board of directors of a Food Corporation and of a Board of Management shall be indemnified by the Corporation against all losses and expenses incurred by him in the discharge of his duties except such as are caused by his own willful act or default.
(2) A member of the board of directors of a Food Corporation or a Board of Management shall not be responsible for any other member or for any officer or other employee of the Corporation or Board of Management or for any loss or expense resulting to the Corporation from the insufficiency or deficiency of value of, or title to, any property or security acquired or taken on behalf of the Corporation in good faith, or by the insolvency or wrongful act of any person under obligation to the Corporation or by anything done in good faith, in the execution of the duties of his office or in relation thereto.
No suit or other legal proceeding shall lie against a Food Corporation or any member of the board of directors thereof or any officer or other employee thereof or any member of a Board of Management or its staff or any other person authorised by a Food Corporation or a Board of Management to discharge any functions under this Act for any loss or damage caused or likely to be caused by anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done in pursuance of this Act.
(1) Whoever, without the consent in writing of a Food Corporation, uses its name in any prospectus or advertisement, shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to one thousand rupees, or with both.
(2) No Court shall take cognizance of any offence under sub-section (1) except on a complaint in writing by an officer authorised in this behalf by the Food Corporation concerned.
For the purposes of the Income-tax Act. 1961, or any other enactment for the time being in force relating to income-tax, super tax or any other tax on income, profits or gains, a Food Corporation shall be deemed to be a company within the meaning of Income-tax Act, 1961, and shall be liable to tax accordingly on its income, profits and gains.
No provision of law relating to the winding up of companies or corporations shall apply to a Food corporation and it shall not be placed in liquidation save by order of the Central Government and in such manner as that Government may direct.
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the purposes of this Act.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rule may provide for-
(a) The term of office of. and the manner of filling casual vacancies among, and the other terms and conditions of appointment of, the directors of the Corporation;
(b) The composition of Advisory Committees and the terms and conditions of service of members thereof;
(c) The additional functions which the Corporation may perform;
(d) The remuneration or fees payable to the members of the board of directors of a State Food Corporation and the term of office of, and the manner of filling casual vacancies among, such members;
(e) The securities (other than food grains) upon which a Food Corporation may lend or advance money;
(f) The manner in which a Food Corporation may invest its funds;
(g) The form of the annual statement of accounts and the balance sheet to be prepared by a Food Corporation;
(h) Any other matter which has to be or may by prescribed.
(3) Every rule made by the Central Government under this section shall be laid as soon as may be after it is made before each House of Parliament while it is in session for a total period of thirty days1*[which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions. and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid,] both Houses agree in making any modification in the rule or both Houses agree that the rule should not be made the rule shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be, so, however that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that rule.
1. Substituted for the words "which may he comprised in one session or in two successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session in which it is so laid or the sessions immediately following", by the Food Corporations (amendment) Act (Act 53 of 1992) w.e.f 21.10.1982.
(1) A Food Corporation may with the previous sanction of the Central Government, by notification in the Official Gazette, make regulations not inconsistent with this Act and the rules made there under, to provide for all matters for which provision is necessary or expedient for the purpose of giving effect to the provisions of this Act.
1*[1A) The power to make regulations under this section shall include the power to give retrospective effect from a date not earlier than the date of commencement of this Act, to the regulations or any of them but no retrospective effect shall be given to any regulation so as to prejudicially affect the interests of any person to whom such regulation may be applicable.]
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such regulation may provide for-
(a) The methods of appointment, the conditions of service and the scales of pay of the officers and employees of a Food Corporation, other than the Secretary of the Food Corporation of India;
(b) The duties and conduct of officers and employees of a Food Corporation, other than the Secretary aforesaid;
(c) The functions and duties which may be entrusted or delegated to the managing director or, as the case may be, the General Manager, or a Food Corporation:
(d) The times and places at which meetings of a Food Corporation or any committee thereof shall be held and the procedure to be followed thereat;
(e) The fees and allowances payable to the members of a committee under sub-section (6) of section 14-or sub-section (6) of section 24;
(f) Generally, the efficient conduct of the affairs of a food Corporation.
(3) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, rescind any regulation which it has sanctioned and thereupon such regulation shall cease to have effect.
(4) Any regulation which may be made by the Food Corporation of India under this Act may be made by the Central Government within three months from the establishment of that Corporation and any regulation which may be made by a State Food Corporation under this Act may be made by the Food Corporation of India within three months from the establishment of such State Food Corporation, and any regulation so made may be altered or rescinded by the Food Corporation concerned in the exercise of its powers under this Act.
1*[(5) Every regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which maybe comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the regulation or both Houses agree that the regulation should not be made, the regulation shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that regulation.]
No regulation made or purporting to have been made with retrospective effect, under section 45 before the commencement of the Food Corporations (Amendment) Act, 1982 shall be deemed to be invalid or ever to have been invalid merely on the ground that such regulation was made with retrospective effect and accordingly every such regulation and any action taken or thing done there under shall be as valid and effective as if the provisions of section 45, as amended by the Food Corporations (Amendment) Act. 1982. were in force at all material times when such regulation was made or action or thing was taken or done.
THE SCHEDULE (See Section 38)
Declaration of fidelity and Secrecy
I.--------------------------- declare that I will faithfully, truly and to the best of my judgment, skill and ability execute and perform the duties which are required of me as director. Member of ----------------Food Corporation of India committee, officer, employee or auditor (as the case may be of the ---------------- or as member Food Corporation of the Board of Food Corporation Management at ----------------------- under the Food Corporation of India and which properly relate to the office or position in or in relation to that Corporation held by me.
I further declare that I will not communicate or allow to be communicated to any person not legally entitled thereto any information relating to the affairs of the said Corporation or to the affairs of any person having any dealing with the said Corporation nor will I allow any person not legally entitled as aforesaid to inspect or have access to any books or documents belonging to, or in the possession of, the said Corporation and relating to the business of the said Corporation or the business of any person having any dealing with the said corporation
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.