(1) The Reserve Bank may, on an application made to it in this behalf, authorize any person to be known as authorized person to deal in foreign exchange or in foreign securities, as an authorized dealer, money changer or off-shore asking unit or in any other manner as it deems fit.
(2) An authorization under this section shall be in writing and shall be subject to the conditions laid down therein.
(3) An authorization granted under sub-section (1) may be revoked by the Reserve Bank at any time if the Reserve Bank is satisfied that-
(a) It is in public interest so to do; or
(b) The authorized person has failed to comply with the condition subject to which the authorization was granted or has contravened any of the provisions of the Act or any rule, regulation, notification, direction or order made there under: Provided that no such authorization shall be revoked on any ground referred to in clause (b) unless the authorized person has been given a reasonable opportunity of making a representation in the matter.
(4) An authorized person shall, in all his dealings in foreign exchange or foreign security, comply with such general or special directions or orders as the Reserve Bank may, from time to time, think fit to give, and, except with the previous permission f the Reserve Bank, an authorized person shall not engage in any transaction involving any foreign exchange or foreign security which is not in conformity with the terms of his authorization under this section.
(5) An authorized person shall, before undertaking any transaction in foreign exchange on behalf of any person, require that person to make such declaration and to give such information as will reasonably satisfy him that the transaction will not involve and is not designed for the purpose of any contravention or evasion of the provisions of this Act or of any rule, regulation, notification, direction or order made there under, and where the said person refuses to comply with any such requirement or make only unsatisfactory compliance therewith, the authorized person shall refuse in writing to undertake the transaction and shall, if he has reason to believe that any such contravention or evasion as aforesaid is contemplated by the person, report the matter to the Reserve Bank.
(6) Any person, other than an authorized person, who has acquired or purchased foreign exchange for any purpose mentioned in the declaration made by him to authorized person under sub-section (5) does not use it for such purpose or does not surrender it o authorized person within the specified period or uses the foreign exchange so acquired or purchased for any other purpose for which purchase or acquisition or foreign exchange is not permissible under the provisions of the Act or the rules or regulations or direction or order made there under shall be deemed to have committed contravention of the provisions of the Act for the purpose of this section.
(1) The Reserve Bank may, for the purpose of securing compliance with the provisions of this Act and of any rules, regulations, notifications or directions made there under, give to the a theorized persons any direction in regard to making of payment or the doing or desist from doing any act relating to foreign exchange or foreign security.
(2) The Reserve Bank may, for the purpose of ensuring the compliance with the provisions of this Act or of any rule, regulation, notification, direction or order made there under, direct any authorized person to furnish such information, in such manner, a it deems fit.
(3) Where any authorized person contravenes any direction given by the Reserve Bank under this Act or fails to file any return as directed by the Reserve Bank, the Reserve Bank may, after giving person a penalty which may extend to ten thousand rupees and in the case of continuing contravention with an additional penalty which may extend to two thousand rupees for every day during which such contravention continues. Reasonable opportunity of being heard, impose on the author seed.
(1) The Reserve Bank may, at any time, cause an inspection to be made, by any officer of the Reserve Bank specially authorized in writing by the Reserve Bank in this behalf, of the business of any a theorized person as may appear to it to be necessary or expedient for the purpose of-
(a) Verifying the correctness of any statement, information or particulars furnished to the Reserve Bank;
(b) Obtaining any information or particulars which such authorized person has failed to furnish on being called upon to do so;
(c) Securing compliance with the provisions of this Act or of any rules, regulations, directions or orders made there under.
(2) It shall be the duty of every authorized person, and where such person is a company or a firm, every director, partner or other officer of such company or firm, as the case may be, to produce to any officer making an inspection under sub-section (1), such books, accounts and other documents in his custody or power and to furnish any statement or information relating to the affairs of such person, company or firm as the said officer may require within such time and in such manner as the said officer m y direct.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.