Title : THE GOVERNMENT OF UNION TERRITORIES ACT, 1963
Year : 1963
[Act, No. 20 of 1963] [10th May, 1963]
(1) This act may be called the Government of Union Territories Act, 1963.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1*as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint:
2*[Provided that it shall come into force in the Union Territory of Mizoram on such date being a .date not earlier than the date of commencement of the Government of Union Territories (Amendment) Act, 1971, as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.]
3*[Provided further that it shall come into force in the Union territory of Arunachal Pradesh on such date, being a date not earlier than the date of commencement of the Government of Union Territories (Amendment) Act, 1975, as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.]
4*[Provided also that subject to the preceding provisos] different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act and for different Union Territories and any reference in any such provision to the commencement of this Act shall be construed as a reference to the coming into force of that provision.
1. In H. P. Manipur, Tripura, on 1 -7-1963 (All these territories are States how: See Act 53 of 1970 and Act 81 of 1971) the provisions applicable to Delhi, came into force on 1-7-1963 thereto - See S.O. 1660 of 19h3: In Goa, Daman and Diu, Pt. I, Sections 3, 4, 14, Pt. III, Sections 53, 58 and 57, Schs. I and II, so tar as applicable thereto, came into force on 13-5-1963 and rest of the provisions on 20-12-1963 - See G.S. Rs. 814 and 1922 of 1963; In Pondicherry, Pt. I, Sections 53, 57 and Sch. II, so far as applicable came into force on 13-5-1963 and rest of the provisions on 1-7-1963 - See G.S.R. 815 and G.S.R. 1025 of 1963; In Dadra and Nagar Haveli, so much of the provisions of this Act as apply thereto, came into force on 1-7-1963 -See G.S.R. 1025 of 19063; in U.T. of Arunachal Pradesh on 15-8-1975-See Gaz. of Ind., 31-ui i"u.,Ji, . .. U.S. 3 (ii), Extra., p. 1766; in Mizoram.Ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, 14,38,43A & 56 enforced on 17-2-1972 (See G.S.R. 81 (E) of 1972) and the rest of the sections enforced on and from 3-9-1972 -See G.S.R. 269 (E) D/-1 -5-1972.
2. Proviso added by Act 83 of 1971 S. 2(i) (16-2-1972).
3. Proviso added by Act 29 of 1975, S. 2 (i) (15-8-1975).
4. Substituted for the words "provided further that" (which were earlier substituted for 'Provided that' b) Act 83 of 71) by Act 29 of 1975 S. 2 (ii) (15-8-1975 - See S.O, 398 (E) of 1975).
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,-
(a) "Administrator" means the administrator of1*[the Union territory] appointed by the President under article 239;
(b) "Article" means an article of the Constitution;
(c) "Assembly constituency" means a constituency provided under this Act for the purpose of elections to the Legislative Assembly of1*[the Union territory];
(d) "Election Commission" means the Election Commission appointed by the President under article 324;
(e) "Judicial Commissioner" includes an Additional Judicial Commissioner;
(f) "Scheduled castes" in relation to1*[the Union territory] mean such casters, races or tribes or parts of or groups within such castes, race or tribes as are deemed under article 341 to be scheduled castes in relation to that Union Territory; -
(g) "scheduled tribes" in relation to 2*[the Union Territory] mean such tribes or trible communities or parts of or groups within such tribes or tribal communities as are deemed under article 342 to be scheduled tribes in relation to that Union Territory;
2*(h) "Union territory" means the Union territory of Pondicherry]
(2) Any reference in this Act to laws made by Parliament shall be construed as including a reference to Ordinances promulgated by the President under Article 123 and a reference to Regulations made by the President under article 240.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.