Title : THE INSTITUTES OF TECHNOLOGY ACT, 1961 Year : 1961
36.Acts and proceedings not to be invalidated by vacancies, etc.
36. Acts and proceedings not to be invalidated by vacancies, etc.
No act of the Council, or any Institute or Board or Senate or any other body set up under this Act or the Statutes, shall be invalid merely by reason of-
(a) any vacancy in, or defect in the constitution thereof, or
(b) any defect in the election, nomination or appointment of a person acting as a member thereof, or
(c) any irregularity in its procedure not affecting the merits of the case.
37.Power to remove difficulties.
37. Power to remove difficulties. If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order published in the Official Gazette, make such provision or give such direction not inconsistent with the purposes of this Act, as appears to it to be necessary or expedient for removing the difficulty.
38. Transitional provisions. Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act,-
(a) the Board of Governors of an Institute functioning as such immediately before the commencement of this Act shall continue to so function until a new Board is constituted for that Institute under this Act, but on the constitution of a new Board under this Act, the members of the Board holding office before such constitution shall cease to hold office:
(b) 1*[the Staff Committee constituted in relation to the
College of Engineering and Technology, Delhi and any
Academic Council constituted in relation to any other
Institute] before the commencement of this Act shall be deemed to be the Senate constituted under this Act until a Senate is constituted under this Act for that
(c) until the first Statutes and the Ordinances are made under this Act, the Statutes and Ordinances of the
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur as in force immediately before the commencement of this Act shall continue to apply to that Institute and shall, with the necessary modifications and adaptations, also apply to any other Institute, in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act.
2*["(d) until the first Statutes and the Ordinances in relation to the Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati are made under this
Act, the Statutes and Ordinances of the indian Institute of Techno-
logy, Kharagpur as in force immediately before the commencement of the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 1994 shall apply to the
Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati with the necessary modifi-
cation and adaptations in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act.
Explanation--The reference in clause (a) of this section to the commencement off this Act shall be construed in relation to the Indian
Institute of Technology, Guwahati as the reference to the date on which the provisions of the Instittutes of Technology (Amendment) Act,
1994 come into force."]
1. Subs. by Act 29 of 1963, s. 6, for certain words (w.e.f 13-9-
2. Added by Act 35 of 1994, s. 6 (w.e.f. 1-9-1994).
165.39.Repeal an savings.
39. Repeal an savings. (1) The Indian Institute of Technology
(Kharagpur) Act, 1956 (5 of 1956) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, the provisions of the said Act set out in the Schedule shall continue to have effect:
Provided that in the said provisions, the expression "this Act"
means the said provisions.
Last updated on May, 2015