THE MARINE PRODUCTS EXPORT DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY ACT, 1972
THE MARINE PRODUCTS EXPORT DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY ACT, 1972
Title : THE MARINE PRODUCTS EXPORT DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY ACT, 1972
Year : 1972
No act or proceeding of the Authority or any Committee appointed by it under section 8, shall be invalidated merely by reason of:
(a) Any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Authority or such Committee; or
(b) Any defect in the appointment of a person acting as a member of the Authority or such Committee; or
(c) Any irregularity in the procedure of the Authority or such Committee not affecting the merits of the case.
The Chairman shall be entitled to such salary and allowances and such conditions of service in respect of leave, pension, provident fund and other matters as may, from time to time, be fixed by the Central Government.
(1) The Central Government shall appoint a Director of Marine Products Export Development to exercise such powers and perform such duties under the Chairman as may be prescribed or as may be delegated to him by the Chairman.
(2) The Central Government shall appoint a Secretary to the Authority to exercise such powers and perform such duties under the Chairman as may be prescribed or as may be delegated to him by the Chairman.
(3) The Director and the Secretary to the Authority shall be entitled to such salaries and allowances and such conditions of service in respect of leave, pension, provident fund and other matters as may be fixed by the Central Government.
(4) Subject to such control and restrictions as may be prescribed, the Authority may appoint such other officers and employees as may be necessary for the efficient performance of its functions and pay them such salaries and allowances as it may determine from time to time.
(5) The Chairman, the Director, the Secretary and other employees of the Authority shall not undertake any work unconnected with their duties under this Act except with the permission of the Central Government.
(1) The Authority may appoint such Committees as may be necessary for the efficient discharge of its duties and performance of its functions under this Act.
(2) The Authority shall have the power to co-opt as members of any Committee appointed under sub-section (1) such other number of persons who are not members of the Authority, as it may think fit.
(1) It shall be the duty of the Authority to promote, by such measures as it thinks fit, the development under the control of the Central Government of the marine products industry with special reference to exports.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of sub-section (1), the measures referred to therein may provide for-
(a) Developing and regulating off-shore and deep-sea fishing and undertaking measures for the conservation and management of off-shore and deep-sea fisheries;
(b) Registering fishing vessel, processing plants or storage premises for marine products and conveyances used for the transport of marine products;
(c) Fixing of standards and specifications for marine products for purposes of export;
(d) Rendering of financial or other assistance to owners of fishing vessels engaged in off-shore and deep-sea fishing and owners of processing plants or storage premises for marine products and conveyances used for the transport of marine products, and acting as an agency for such relief and subsidy schemes as may be entrusted to the Authority;
(e) Carrying out inspection of marine products in any fishing vessel, processing plant, storage premises, conveyance or other place where such products are kept or handled, for the purpose of ensuring the quality of such products;
(f) Regulating the export of marine products;
(g) Improving the marketing of marine products outside India;
(h) Registering of exporters of marine products on payment of such fees as may be prescribed;
(i) Collecting statistics from persons engaged in the catching of fish or other marine products, owners of processing plants or storage premises for marine products or conveyances used for the transport of marine products, exporters of such products and such other persons as may be prescribed on any matter relating to the marine products industry and the publishing of statistics so collected or portions thereof or extracts therefrom;
(j) Training in various aspects of the marine products industry; and
(k) Such other matters as may be prescribed.
(3) The Authority shall perform its functions under this section in accordance with and subject to such rules as may be made by the Central Government.
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette and for reasons to be specified therein, direct that the Authority shall be dissolved from such date and for such period as may be specified in the notification:
Provided that before issuing any such notification, the Central Government shall give a reasonable opportunity to the Authority to make representations against the proposed dissolution and shall consider the representations, if any, of the Authority.
(2) When the Authority is dissolved under the provisions of sub-section (1),-
(a) All members notwithstanding that their term of office has not expired, shall, from the date of dissolution, vacate their offices as such members;
(b) All powers and duties of the Authority shall, during the period of dissolution, be exercised and performed by such person or persons as the Central Government may appoint in this behalf;
(c) All funds and other property vested in the Authority shall, during the period of dissolution, vest in the Central Government; and
(d) As soon as the period of dissolution expires, the Authority shall be reconstituted in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.