Title : THE NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR SAFAI KARAMCHARIS Act, 1993 Year : 1993
THE NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR SAFAI KARAMCHARIS
3.Constitution of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis.
3. Constitution of the National Commission for Safai
Karamcharis. (1) The Central Government shall, by notification in the
Official Gazette, constitute a body to be known as the National
Commission for Safai Karamcharis to exercise the powers conferred on, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under this Act.
(2) The Commission shall consist of-
(a) a Chairperson;
(b) a Vice-Chairperson;
(c) five Members,
to be nominated, from amongst the persons of eminence connected with the socio-economic development and welfare of Safai Karamcharis, by the Central Government:
Provided that at least one of the Members shall be a woman.
4.Term of office and conditions of service of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Member.
4. Term of office and conditions of service of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and Member. (1) The Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and every Member shall hold office for such period not exceeding three years as may be specified by the Central Government in this behalf or up to the 31st day of March, 1997, whichever is earlier.
(2) The Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson or a Member may, by notice in writing addressed to the Central Government, resign from the office of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, or as the case may be, of the Member at any time.
(3) The Central Government shall remove a person from the office of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson or a Member if that person-
(a) becomes an undischarged insolvent;
(b) is convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for an offence which, in the opinion of the Central Government, involves moral turpitude;
3.(c) becomes of unsound mind and stands so declared by a competent court;
(d) refuses to act or becomes incapable of acting;
(e) is, without obtaining leave of absence from the
Commission, absent from three consecutive meetings of the
(f) in the opinion of the Central Government has so abused the position of Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson or Member as to render that persons continuance in office detrimental to the public interest:
Provided that no person shall be removed under this clause until that person has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.
(4) A vacancy caused under sub-section (2) or sub-section (3) or otherwise shall be filled by fresh nomination and a person so nominated shall hold office for the unexpired period of the term for which his predecessor in office would have held office if such vacancy had not arisen.
(5) The salaries and allowances payable to, and other terms and conditions of service of, the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and
Members shall be such as may be prescribed.
5.Officers and other employees of the Commission.
5. Officers and other employees of the Commission. (1) The
Central Government shall provide the Commission with such officers and employees as may be necessary for the efficient performance of the functions of the Commission under this Act.
(2) The salaries and allowances payable to, and other terms and conditions of service of, the officers and other employees appointed for the purpose of the Commission shall be such as may be prescribed.
6.Vacancy, etc., not to invalidate the proceedings of the Commission.
6. Vacancy, etc., not to invalidate the proceedings of the
Commission. No act or proceeding of the Commission shall be questioned or shall be invalid on the ground merely of the existence of any vacancy or defect in the constitution of the Commission.
7.Procedure to be regulated by the Commission.
7. Procedure to be regulated by the Commission. (1) The
Commission shall meet as and when necessary and shall meet at such time and place as the Chairperson may think fit.
(2) The Commission shall regulate its own procedure.
(3) All orders and decisions of the Commission shall be authenticated by the Chairperson or any other officer of the
Commission duly authorised by the Chairperson in this behalf.
FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE COMMISSION
Last updated on May, 2015