(1) If any person not otherwise subject to naval law enters into an engagement with the Central Government to serve,-
(a) In a particular ship ; or
(b) In such particular ship or in such ships as the Central Government, the Chief of the Naval Staff, or the scribed officer may, from time to time, determine; and agrees to become subject to naval law upon entering into the engagement, that person shall, so long as the engagemnent remain in force and notwithstanding that for the time being he may no be serving in any ship, be subject to naval law.
(2) The Central Government may, by order, direct that, subject to such exceptions as may in particular cases be made by or on behalf of the Chief of the Naval Staff, persons of any such class as may be specified in the order shall, while being subject to naval law by virtue of this section, be deemed to be officers, petty officers or other 1*[sailors], as the case may be, for the purposes of this Act or of such provisions of this Act as may be so specified.
(1) When members of the regular Army and the Air Force or of either of these forces are serving with members of the Indian Navy or Indian Naval Reserve Forces under prescribed conditions, then those members of the regular army or the Air Force shall exercise such command if any, and be subject to such discipline is may be prescribed.
(2) Nothing in sub-section (1) shall be deemed to authorise the exercise of powers of punishment by members of the, regular Army or the Air Force over members of the Indian Navy or the Indian Naval Reserve Forces, except as provided in clause (e) of subsection (3) of section 93 1*[or in such cases and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed].
(1) Every master or other person for the time being in command of any merchant or other vessel comprised in a convoy under the command of an officer of the Indian Navy shall obey, in all matters relating to the navigation or security of the convoy, any Directions which may be given by such officer, and shall take such precautions for avoiding the enemy is may be required by any such directions.
(2) If any such directions are not obeyed, any such officer or any person acting under his orders may compel obedience by forte of arms without being liable for any injury or loss of life or any danger to or loss of property resulting therefrom.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.