(1) No person who is not a citizen of India shall be eligible for appointment or enrollment in the Indian Navy or the Indian Naval Reserve Forces except with the consent of the Central Government :
Provided that nothing in this section shall render a person ineligible for appointment or enrollment in the Indian Navy or the Indian Naval Reserve Forces on the ground that he is a subject of Nepal.
(2) No woman shall be eligible for appointment or enrollment in the Indian Navy or the Indian Naval Reserve Forces except in such department, branch or other body forming part thereof or attached thereto and subject to such conditions as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify in this behalf.
(1) Officers other than subordinate officers shall be appointed by commission granted by the President.
(2) The grant of the commission shall be notified in the Official Gazette and such notification shall be conclusive proof of the grant of such commission.
(3) Subordinate officers shall be appointed in such manner and shall hold such rank as may be prescribed.
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this Act, the terms and conditions of service of 1*[sailors], the person authorised to enroll for service as 1*[sailors] and the manner and procedure of such enrollment shall be such as may be prescribed.
(2) No person shall be enrolled as a 2*[sailor] in the Indian Navy for a period exceeding 3*[twenty years] in the first instance; Provided that in the case of a minor the said period of twenty years shall be reckoned from the date on which he attains the age of seventeen.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force,-
(a) The enrollment of tiny person. under this Act shall be binding on him both during his minority and after he attains majority ;
(b) Neither the parent or guardian of a minor duly enrolled under this Act nor any other person shall be entitled to claim custody of the said minor as against the Central Government or any of its officers or other persons set over him.
Where a person after his enrollment has for a period of three months from the date of such enrollment been in receipt of pay as a 1*[sailor], he shall be deemed to have been duly enrolled and shall not thereafter be entitled to claim his discharge on the ground of any irregularity or illegality in his engagement or any other ground whatsoever; and if within the said three months such person claims his discharge, no such irregularity or illegality or other ground shall, until such person is discharged in pursuance of his claim, affect his position as a 1*[sailor] in the naval service or invalidate any proceedings, act or thing taken or done prior to his discharge.
Every officer and every 1*[sailor] shall, as soon as may be, after appointment or enrollment make and subscribe before the commanding officer of the ship to which he belongs, or the prescribed officer an oath or affirmation in the following form that is to say:-
"I........do swear in the name of God solemnly affirm that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India as by law established and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully serve in the naval service and go wherever ordered by sea, land or, air, and that I will observe and obey all commands of the President and the commands of any superior officer set over me, even to the peril of my life."
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.