An Act to make provisions for the prevention of, and for dealing with, terrorist activities and for matters connected therewith. Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-third Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
CHAPTER I PRELIMINARY
(1) This Act may be called the Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) Every person shall be liable to punishment under this Act for every act or omission contrary to the provisions thereof, of which he is held guilty in India.
(4) Any person who commits an offence beyond India which is punishable under this Act shall be dealt with according to the provisions of this Act in the same manner as if such act had been committed in India.
(5) The provisions of this Act apply also to:
(a) Citizens of India outside India;
(b) Persons in the service of the Government, wherever they may be; and
(c) Persons on ships and aircrafts, registered in India, wherever they may be.
(6) Save as otherwise provided in respect of entries at serial numbers 24 and 25 of the Schedule to this Act, it shall be deemed to have come into force on the 24th day of October, 2001 and shall remain in force for a period of three years from the date f its commencement, but its expiry under the operation of this sub-section shall not affect-
(a) The previous operation of, or anything duly done or suffered under this Act, or
(b) Any right, privilege, obligation or liability acquired, accrued or incurred under this Act, or
(c) Any penalty, forfeiture or punishment incurred in respect of any offence under this Act, or
(d) Any investigation, legal proceeding or remedy in respect of any such right, privilege, obligation, liability, penalty, forfeiture or punishment as aforesaid, and, any such investigation, legal proceeding or remedy may be instituted, continued or enforced and any such penalty, forfeiture or punishment may be imposed as if this Act had not expired.
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,
(a) "Code" means the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974);
(b) "Designated Authority" shall mean such officer of the Central Government not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government, or such officer of the State Government not below the rank of Secretary to the Government, as the case may be, as may be specified by the Central Government or, as the case may be, the State Government, by a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(c) "Proceeds of terrorism" shall mean all kinds of properties which have been derived or obtained from commission of any terrorist act or have been acquired through funds traceable to a terrorist act, and shall include cash irrespective of person in who e name such proceeds are standing or in whose possession they are found;
(d) "Property" means property and assets of every description, whether corporeal or incorporeal, movable or immovable, tangible or intangible and deeds and instruments evidencing title to, or interest in, such property or assets and includes bank account
(e) "Public Prosecutor" means a Public Prosecutor or an Additional Public Prosecutor or a Special Public Prosecutor appointed under section 28 and includes any person acting under the directions of the Public Prosecutor;
(f) "Special Court" means a Special Court constituted under section 23;
(g) "Terrorist act" has the meaning assigned to it in sub-section (1) of section 3, and the expression "terrorist" shall be construed accordingly;
(h) "State Government", in relation to a Union territory, means the Administrator thereof;
(i) Words and expressions used but not defined in this Act and defined in the Code shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Code.
(2) Any reference in this Act to any enactment or any provision thereof shall, in relation to an area in which such enactment or such provision is not in force, be construed as a reference to the corresponding law or the relevant provision of the corresponding law, if any, in force in that area.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.