Whereas it is expedient to amend the law relating to prisons in2*[India except the territories which, immediately before the 1st November, 1956, were comprised in Part B States], and to provide rules for the regulation of such prison, it is hereby enacted as follows:-
1*[(2) It extends to the whole of India except2*[the territories which, immediately before the 1st November, 1956, were comprised in Part B States];] and
(3) It shall come into force on the first day of July, 1894.
(4) Nothing in this Act shall apply to civil jails in the3*[State] of Bombay4*[as it existed immediately before the 1st November, 1956] outside the city of Bombay, and those jails shall continue to be administered under the provisions of sections 9 to 16 (both inclusive) of Bombay Act 2 of 1874 5*, as amended by subsequent enactments.
[Rep. by the Repealing Act, 1938 (1 of 1938), sec. 2 and Schedule].
In this Act-
(1) "Prison" means any jail or place used permanently or temporarily under the general or special orders of a State Government for the detention of prisoners, and includes all lands and buildings appurtenant thereto, but does not include-
(a) Any place for the confinement of prisoners who are exclusively in the custody of the police;
(b) Any place specially appointed by the State Government under section 541 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1882 (10 of 1882); or
(c) Any place which has been declared by the State Government by general or special order, to be a subsidiary jail;
(2) "Criminal prisoner" means any prisoner duly committed to custody under the writ, warrant or order of any Court or authority exercising criminal jurisdiction, or by order of a Court-martial;
(3) "Convicted criminal prisoner" means any criminal prisoner under sentence of a Court or Court-martial, and includes a person detained in prison under the provisions of Chapter VIII of the1Code of Criminal Procedure, 1882 (10 of 1882) or under the2Prisoners Act, 1871 (5 of 1871);
(4) "Civil prisoner" means any prisoner who is not a criminal prisoner;
(5) "Remission system" means the rules for the time being in force regulating the award of marks to, and the consequent shortening of sentences of, prisoners in jail;
(6) "History-ticket" means me ticket exhibiting such information as is required in respect of each prisoner by this Act or the rules there under;
(7) "Inspector General" means the Inspector General of Prisons;
(8) "Medical Subordinate" means an Assistant Surgeon, Apothecary or qualified Hospital Assistant; and
(9) "prohibited article" means an article the introduction or removal of which into or out of a prison is prohibited by any rule under this Act.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.