1. For Statement of Objects and Reasons, see Gazette of India, 1908, Pt. V, p. 325; for Report of Select Committee, see Gazette of India, 1908, Pt. V, p. 387; and for Proceedings in Council, see Gazette of India, 1908, Pt. VI, pp. 148, 154 and 182. This Act has been extended to Berar by Berar Laws Act, 1941 (4 of 1941); to Dadra and Nagar Haveli by Reg. 6 of 1963, Section 2 and Schedule I; to Goa, Daman and Diu by Reg. 11 of 1963, Section 3 and Schedule; to Lakshadweep by Reg. 8 of 1965, Section 3 and Schedule, to Pondicherry by Act 26 of 1968, Section 3 and Schedule It has been declared to be in force in Panth Piploda by the Panth Piploda Laws Regulation, 1929 (1 of 1929), Section 2; in the Khondmals District by the Khondmals Laws Regulation, 1936 (5 of 1936), Section 3 and Schedule It has been applied with modifications to certain taluks of the East Godavari Agency, see Notification No. F. 128/29, dated the 29th April, 1929, Gazette of India, 1929 Pt. I, p. 662.
In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(1) "Addition" means the place of residence, and the profession, trade, rank and title (if any) of a person described, and in the case of 1[an Indian], 2[***] his father's name, or where he is usually described as the son of his mother, then his mother's name;
(2) "Book" includes a portion of a book and also any number of sheets connected together with a view of forming a book or portion of a book;
(3) "District" and "sub-district" respectively mean a district and sub-district formed under this Act;
(4) "District Court" includes the High Court in its ordinary original civil jurisdiction;
(5) "Endorsement" and "endorsed" include and apply to an entry in writing by a registering officer on a rider or covering slip to any document tendered for registration under this Act;
(6) "Immovable Property" includes land, buildings, hereditary allowances, rights to ways, lights, ferries, fisheries or any other benefit to arise out of land, and things attached to the earth, or permanently fastened to anything which is attached to the earth, but not standing timber, growing crops nor grass;
3[(6A) "India" means the territory of India excluding the State of Jammu and Kashmir;]
(7) "Lease" includes a counterpart, kabuliyat, and undertaking to cultivate or occupy, and an agreement to lease;
(8) "Minor" means a person who, according to the personal law to which he is subject, has not attained majority;
(9) "Movable Property" includes standing timber, growing crops and grass, fruit upon and juice in trees, and property of every other description, except immovable property; and
(10) "Representative" includes the guardian of a minor and the committee or other legal curator of a lunatic or idiot.
4[***] STATE AMENDMENTS
In section 2, in sub-section (2), after the words "includes a portion of book", the words "and the information storage devices like floppy disk, hard disk, compact disk" shall be added.
6*Goa, Daman and Diu:
In clause (1) of section 2, before the words "his father's name", insert the words "his marital status, and".
In section 2,-
(i) In clause (9), the word "and" occurring at the end shall be omitted;
(ii) In clause (10), the word "and" shall be added at the end;
(iii) After clause (10), the following clause shall be added, namely:-
"(11) 'Tout' means a person who habitually frequents the precincts of a registration office, for the purpose of employment for himself or for any other person in connection with any registration business and who is so declared as a tout under Part XIII-A."
In section 2,-
(1) Omit the word "and" at the end of sub-section (9); and
(2) Add after sub-section (10) the following word and sub-section,-- "and
(11) 'Tout' means a person-
(a) Who habitually frequents the precincts of a registration office, without a licence granted to him under the rules made under section 80G, for the purpose of obtaining employment for himself or any other person in connection with any registration business; or
(b) Who is declared to be deemed to be a tout for the purposes of this Act by rules made under section 80G."
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.