(1) The Central Government may, on a request received in this behalf from a State Government or otherwise, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish a River Board for advising the Governments interested in relation to such matters concerning the regulation or development of an inter-State river or river valley or any specified part thereof and for performing such other functions as may be specified in the notification, and different Boards may be established for different inter-State rivers or river valleys:
Provided that no such notification shall be except after consultation with the Governments interested with respect to the proposal to establish the Board, the persons to be appointed as members thereof and the functions which the Board may be empowered to perform.
(2) A Board may be established under such name as may be specified in the notification under sub-section (1).
(3) Every Board so established shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
(4) Every Board shall exercise its jurisdiction within such limits of the river (including its tributaries, if any) or river valley as may be specified in the notification under sub-section (1) and the area so specified shall be called the area of operation of the Board.
(1) The Board shall consist of a Chairman and such other members as the Central Government thinks fit to appoint.
(2) A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a member unless, in the opinion of the Central Government, he has special knowledge and experience in irrigation, electrical engineering flood control, navigation, water conservation, soil conservation administration or finance.
(1) A member shall, unless his appointment is terminated earlier by the Central Government, hold office for such period as may be notified in this behalf by the Central Government in the Official Gazette, and shall, on the expiry of the term of his office be eligible for re-appointment.
(2) A member may resign his offence by writing under his hand addressed to the Central Government, but he shall continue in office until the appointment of his successor is notified in the Official Gazette.
(3) A casual vacancy created by the resignation of a member under sub-section (2) or for any other reason shall be filled by fresh appointment.
(4) A member may appointed either as a whole-time or part-time as the Central Government thinks fit.
(5) The terms and conditions of service of the Chairman and other members shall be such as may be prescribed.
If any member is by infirmity or otherwise rendered temporarily incapable of carrying out his duties or is absent on leave or otherwise in circumstances not involving the vacation of his appointment, the Central Government may appoint another person to act in his place.
The Board shall meet at such times and places and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings as may be provided by regulations made under this Act.
No act or proceeding of the Board shall be deemed to be invalid by reason only of the existence of any vacancy in the Board or any defect in the appointment of a member thereof.
The Board may, from time to time, appoint one or more advisory committee or committees for the purpose of enabling it to carry out of its functions under this Act.
(1) The Board may associate with itself in such manner and for such purposes as may be determined by regulations made under this Act any person whose assistance or advice it may desire in performing any of its functions under this Act.
(2) A person associated with the Board under sub-section (1) for any purpose shall have a right to take part in the discussions of the Board relevant to that purpose, but shall not have a right to vote at a meeting of the Board, and shall not be a member for any other purpose.
Subject to such rules as may by the Central Government in his behalf, the Board may, for the purpose of enabling it to efficiently perform its functions or exercise its powers under this Act, appoint such officers as it may think fit and determine their functions and terms and conditions of service.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.