Title : THE TRANSPLANTATION OF HUMAN ORGANS ACT, 1994
Year : 1994
A Nagar Panchayat shall be a body corporate by its name, having a perpetual succession and a common seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract, and shall sue and be sued in its name.
(1) Every Nagar Panchayat shall consist of such number of Councillors as may be fixed by the Government from time to time by notification.
(2) Save as otherwise provided in sub-section (3), all the seats in a Nagar Panchayat shall be filled by persons chosen by direct election from the territorial constituencies to be known as wards in the municipal area of Nagar Panchayat.
(3) The Government may appoint a person having special knowledge or experience in municipal administration to be a Councillor of the Nagar Panchayat:
Provided that such person shall not have the right to vote in the meetings of the Nagar Panchayat.
The provisions of sections 17, 19 and 20 of this Act relating to Council shall also apply in case of Nagar Panchayat.
For every Nagar Panchayat there shall be a Chairperson and a Vice- Chairperson.
(1) Save as otherwise provided in the Act , the Councillors at the first meeting of the Nagar Panchayat to be called at the instance of the Deputy Commissioner after a General Election shall elect one of them to be the Chairperson in accordance with the rules made in this behalf.
(2) An election under sub-section (1) shall take place-
(a) Within twenty-one days from the date of notification of the result under section 22;
(b) In the case of vacancy in the office of the Chairperson on account of any reason other than the expiry of the term of office of the Chairperson, within twenty-one days from the date of the occurrence of the vacancy.
(3) The State Government shall appoint a person to preside over the meeting and for the purpose of the business mentioned in sub-section
(4) The Councillors shall, either at the meeting referred to in sub-section (1) or at any subsequent meeting elect one among them-selves, other than the Chairperson elected under sub-section (1), to be a Vice-Chair person.
(1) The Chairperson may resign his office by writing under his hand addressed to the Executive Officer.
(2) The Vice-Chairperson or a Councillor may resign his office by writing under his hand addressed to the Chairperson, who shall forward it to the Executive Officer.
(3) The resignation under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) shall take effect from the date on which it is. accepted by the Government.
(4) The Executive Officer shall forthwith intimate the fact of resignation received under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) to the Nagar Panchayat and the State Government.
(5) On receipt of intimation under sub-section (4) the State Government shall notify the fact of the resignation and occurrence of casual vacancy consequent thereon.
The Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson or any other Councillor of Nagar Panchayat may be granted by that Nagar Panchayat such remuneration or such allowance as may be prescribed.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.