(1) This Act may be called the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
(2) It extends in the first instance to the whole of the States of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal and to all the Union territories; and it shall also extend to such other State as may adopt this Act by resolution passed in that behalf in pursuance of clause (1) of article 252 of the Constitution.
(3) It shall come into force in a State or Union territory to which it extends, or may become extended in future, on such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint, and directly dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act or for different States or Union territories.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Animal includes amphibians, birds, mammals and reptiles and their young, and also includes an article or object in which the whole or any part of such animal has been used.
(2) Animal article means an article made from any captive animal or wild animal, other that vermin, and includes an article or object in which the whole or any part of such animal has been used;
(3) Big game means any animal specified in Schedule III;
(4) Board means the Wild Life Advisory Board constituted under sub-section (1) of section 6;
(5) Captive animal means any animal, specified in Schedule I, Schedule II, Schedule III or Schedule IV, which is captures or kept or bred in captivity;
(6) Cattle includes buffaloes, bulls, bullocks, camels, cows, domestic elephants, donkeys, goats, horses, mules, pigs and sheep, and also includes their young;
(7) Chief Wile Life Warden means the person appointed as such under clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 4;
(8) Closed area means the area which is declared under sub-section (1) of section 37 to be closed to hunting;
(9) Collector means the chief officer in charge of the revenue administration of a district;
(10) Commencement of this Act, in relation to-
(a) A State, means commencement of this Act in that State,
(b) Any provision of this Act, means the commencement of that provision in the concerned State;
(11) Dealer means any person who carries on the business of buying and selling any captive animal, animal article, trophy, uncured trophy or meat;
(12) Director means the person appointed as Director of Wild Life Preservation under clause
(a) of sub-section (1) of section 3;
(13) Game reserve means an area declared under section 36 to be a game reserve;
(14) Government property means any property referred to in section 39;
(15) Habitat includes land, water or vegetation which is the natural home of any wild animal;
(16) Hunting, with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, includes,-
(a) Capturing, killing, poisoning, snaring, and trapping of any wild animal and every attempt to do so.
(b) Driving any wild animal for any of the purposes specified in sub-clause (a),
(c) Injuring or destroying or taking any part of the body of any such animal or, in the case of wild birds or reptiles, damaging the eggs of such birds or reptiles, or disturbing the eggs or nests of such birds or reptiles;
(17) Land includes canals, creeks and other water channels, reservoirs, rivers, streams and lakes, whether artificial or natural, and also includes boulders and rocks;
(18) Licence means a licence granted under this Act;
(19) Manufacturer means a manufacturer of animal articles;
(20) Meat includes blood, bones, sinew, eggs, fat and fresh, whether raw or cooked, of any wild animal, other than vermin;
(21) National Park means an area declared whether under section 35 or section 38, or deemed, under sub-section (3) of section 66, to be declared, as a National Park;
(22) Notification means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(23) Permit means a permit granted under this Act or any rule made there under;
(24) Person includes a firm;
(25) Prescribed means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(26) Sanctuary means an area declared, whether under section 18 or section 38, or deemed under sub-section (3) of section 66, to be declared, as a wild life sanctuary;
(27) Small game means any animal specified in Schedule IV;
(28) Special game means any animal specified in Schedule II;
(29) State Government, in relation to a Union territory, means the Administrator of that Union territory appointed by the President under article 239 of the Constitution;
(30) Taxidermy, with its grammatical variations and cognate expressions, means the curing, preparation or preservation of trophies;
(31) Trophy means the whole or any part of any captive animal or wild animal, other than vermin, which has been kept or preserved by any means, whether artificial or natural, and includes-
(a) Rugs, skins and specimens of such animal mounted in whole or in part through a process of taxidermy, and
(32) Uncured trophy means the whole or any part of any captive animal or wild animal, other than vermin, which has not undergone a process of taxidermy, and includes a freshly killed and wild animal;
(33) Vehicle means any conveyance used for movement on land, water or AIR and includes buffalo, bull, bullock, camel, donkey, elephant, horse and mule;
(34) Vermin means any wild animal specified in Schedule V;
(35) Weapon includes ammunition, bows and arrows, explosives, firearms, hooks, knives, nets, poisons snares and traps and any instrument or apparatus capable of anaesthetizing, decoying, destroying, injuring or killing an animal;
(36) Wild animal means any animal found wild in nature and includes any animal specified in Schedule I, Schedule II, Schedule III, Schedule IV or Schedule V, wherever found;
(37) Wild life includes any anima, bees, butterflies, crustacea, fish and moths; and aquatic or land vegetation which forms part of any habitat;
(38) Wild Life Warden; means the person appointed as such under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 4.
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice in India abroad regarding their individual legal, civil criminal issues or consult one of the experts online.