Article 176 [Supreme Council for National Security]
(1) In order to safeguarding the national interests and preserving the Islamic Revolution, the territorial integrity, and the national sovereignty, a Supreme Council for National Security Armed_Forces presided over by the President shall be constituted to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Determining the defense and national security policies within the framework of general policies determined by the Leader;
- coordination of activities in the areas relating to politics, intelligence, social, cultural and economic fields in regard to general defense and security policies; and
- exploitation of materialistic and intellectual resources of the country for facing the internal and external threats.
(2) The Council shall consist of:
- the heads of three branches of the government,
- the chief of the Supreme Command Council of the Armed Forces,
- the officer in charge of the planning and budget affairs,
- two representatives nominated by the Leader,
- Ministers of foreign affairs, interior, and information,
- a Minister related with the subject, and
- the highest ranking officials from the Armed Forces and the Islamic Revolution's Guards Corps.
(3) Commensurate with its duties, the Supreme Council for National Security shall form sub councils such as Defense Sub council and National Security Sub council. Each sub council will be presided over by the President or a member of the Supreme Council for National Security appointed by the President.
(4) The scope of authority and responsibility of the sub councils will be determined by law and their organizational structure will be approved by the Supreme Council for National Defense.
(5) The decisions of the Supreme Council for National Security shall be effective after the confirmation by the Leader.