Article 177 [Revision by Council and Referendum]
(1) The revision of the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran, whenever needed by the circumstances, will be done in the following manner:
The Leader issues an edict to the President after consultation with the Nation's Exigency Council stipulating the amendments or additions to be made by the Council for Revision of the Constitution which consists of:
- Members of the Guardian Council;
- heads of the three branches of the government;
- permanent members of the Nation's Exigency Council;
- five members from among the Assembly of Experts;
- ten representatives selected by the Leader;
- three representatives from the Council of Ministers;
- three representatives from the judiciary branch;
- ten representatives from among the members of the Islamic Consultative Assembly; and
- three representatives from among the university professors.
(2) The method of working, manner of selection and the terms and conditions of the Council shall be determined by law.
(3) The decisions of the Council, after the confirmation and signatures of the Leader, shall be valid if approved by an absolute majority vote in a national referendum.
(4) The provisions of Article 59 shall not apply to the referendum for the "Revision of the Constitution."
(5) The contents of the articles of the Constitution related to the Islamic character of the political system; the basis of all the rules and regulations according to Islamic criteria; the religious footing; the objectives of the Islamic Republic of Iran; the democratic character of the government; the holy principle; the Intimate of Ummah; and the administration of the affairs of the country based on national referendum, official religion of Iran and the religious school are unalterable.