In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful, We11, Abdullah al-Salim al-Sabah, Amir of the State of Kuwait, desiring to use the means of democratic rule for our dear Country; and, having faith in the role of this Country in furthering Arab nationalism and the promotion of world peace and human civilisation; and, striving towards a better future in which the Country enjoys greater prosperity and higher international standing, and in which also the citizens are provided with more political freedom, equality, and social justice, a future which upholds the traditions inherent in the Arab nation by enhancing the dignity of the individual, safeguarding public interest, and applying consultative rule yet maintaining the unity and stability of the Country; and, I having considered Law Number I of 1962 concerning the system of Goverument during the period of transition; and, upon the resolution of the Constituent Assembly; do hereby approve this Constitution and promulgate it.
Article 1 Sovereignty, Territorial Integrity
Kuwait is an Arab State, independent and fully sovereign. Neither its sovereignty nor any part of its territory may be relinquished. The people of Kuwait is a part of the Arab Nation.
Article 2 State Religion
The religion of the State is Islem, and the Islamic Sharia shall be a main source of legislation.
Article 3 Official Language
The official language of the State is Arabic.
Article 4 Monarchy
(1) Kuwait is a hereditary Amirate, the succession to which shall be in the descendants of the late Mubarak al-Sabah.
(2) The Heir Apparent shall be designated within one year, at the latest, from the date of accession of the Amir.
(3) His designation shall be effected by an Amiri Order upon the nomination of the Amir and the approval of the National Assembly which shall be signified by a majarity vote of its members in a special sitting.
(4) In case no designation is achieved in accordance with the foregoing procedure, the Amir shall nominate at least three of the descendants of the late Mubarak al-Sabah of whom the National Assembly shall pledge allegiance to one as Heir Apparent.
(5) The Heir Apparent shall have attained his majority, be of sound mind, and a legitimate son of Muslim parents.
(6) A special law promulgated within one year from the date of coming into force of this Constitution shall lay down the other rules of succession in the Amirate. The said law shall be of a constitutional nature and therefore shall be capable of amendment only by the procedure prescribed for amendment of the Constitution.
Article 5 State Symbols
The flag, emblem, badges, decorations, and the National Anthem of the State shall be specified by law.
Article 6 Democracy
The System of Government in Kuwait shall be democratic, under which sovereignty resides in the people, the source of all powers. Sovereiguty shall be exercised in the manner specified in this Constitution.