WE, THE PEOPLE OF NEPAL, IN EXERCISE THE SOVEREIGN POWERS AND STATE AUTHORITY INHERITENT IN US;
WHEREAS, recognizing the mandate of the NEPALI PEOPLE expressed, from time to time, since prior to 1951 till now, through historical struggles and people's movements for democracy, peace and progress;
WHEREAS, having determined for progressive restructure of the state in order to resolve the existing problems of the country based on class, caste, region and gender;
WHEREAS, expressing full commitments towards democratic norms and values including competitive multiparty democratic rule, system, civil liberty, fundamental rights, human rights, adult franchise, periodic election, full freedom of press, independent of judiciary and concept of rule of law;
WHEREAS, guaranteeing the basic rights of the Nepali people to frame a Constitution for themselves and to participate in the free and impartial election of the Constituent Assembly in a fear-free environment; AND
WHEREAS, keeping democracy, peace, prosperity, progress
economic-social changes and sovereignty, integrity, independence and dignity of the country in the center;
NOW THEREFORE DO hereby promulgate this INTERIM CONSTITUTION OF NEPAL, 2063 (2007), prepared through a political consensus enforceable until a new Constitution is framed by the Constituent Assembly in order to institutionalize the achievements of the revolution and movements till this date.
ARTICLE 1. Constitution as the Fundamental Law:
(1) This Constitution is the fundamental law of Nepal. All laws inconsistent with this constitution shall, to the extent of such inconsistency, be void.
(2) It shall be the duty of every person to uphold this Constitution.
ARTICLE 2. Sovereignty and State Authority:
The sovereignty and the state authority of Nepal shall be vested in the Nepalese people.
ARTICLE 3. Nation:
Having common aspiration of multiethnic, multilingual, multi religious, multi cultural characteristics and having committed and united by a bond of allegiance to national independence, integrity, national interest and prosperity of Nepal, the Nepalese people collectively constitute the nation.
ARTICLE 4. State of Nepal:
(1) Nepal is an independent, indivisible, sovereign, secular, inclusive and a fully democratic State.
(2) The territory of Nepal shall comprise:
- the territory existing at the commencement of this Constitution, and
- such other territory as may be acquired after the commencement of this Constitution.
ARTICLE 5. Language of the Nation:
(1) All the languages spoken as the mother tongue in Nepal are the national languages of Nepal.
(2) The Nepali Language in Devnagari script shall be the official language.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in clause (2), it shall not be deemed to have hindered to use the mother language in local bodies and offices. State shall translate the languages so used to an official working language and maintain record thereon.
ARTICLE 6. National Flag:
The National flag of Nepal, as handed down by tradition, consists of two juxtaposed triangular figures with a crimson coloured base and deep blue borders, there being a white emblem of the crescent moon with eight rays visible out of sixteen in the upper part and a white emblem of a twelve rayed sun in the lower part. The method of drawing out the flag and other particulars relating thereto shall be as set forth in the Schedule.
ARTICLE 7. National Anthem etc:
(1) The national anthem and the coat-of-arms of Nepal shall be as determined by Government of Nepal.
(2) The Rhododendron Arboreum shall be the national flower, Crimson colour shall be the national colour, the Cow shall be the national animal and the Lophophorus shall be the national bird of Nepal.