Immigration Law Hong Kong

Applications for visas should be submitted either directly to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region's Immigration Department or through the nearest Chinese Diplomatic and Consular Mission in the applicant's home country..Permission is given for employment or investment in Hong Kong on condition that the applicant sticks to the original purpose of the visa.
Short-term visitors may conduct legitimate business activities, such as business negotiations and signing contracts, on a visitor visa or entry permit.
Overseas nationals intending to set up a business or take employment in Hong Kong are obliged to obtain a visa before they arrive.
Generally speaking, foreign nationals seeking employment in Hong Kong must possess special skills, knowledge or experience of value to and not readily available in Hong Kong, or be in a position to contribute substantially to Hong Kong's economy.
For a visa application for employment in Hong Kong, the applicant must provide the following information:
  1. The name, contact address and telephone number of the applicant's employer (if the employer is also the applicant's sponsor, please say so)
  2. A copy of the applicant's service contract or letter of appointment with name of position, salary and benefits
  3. A full job description
  4. Details, with proof, of the applicant's academic qualifications and experience relevant to the post. (e.g. copies of diplomas, certificates and testimonials)
  5. A letter, with supporting proof from the applicant's employer (if possible), stating why the post cannot be filled locally
Set up to attract people with expertise and skills not readily available locally to come to Hong Kong for employment. To qualify, applicants must be able to enhance the competitiveness of the economy as a manufacturing or services centre, particularly in knowledge-intensive, high value-added activities.
The Scheme is quota-free and non-sector specific. Applications can be made on behalf of the prospective employee by companies registered in Hong Kong. Candidates whose skills fall into the following categories might have a favourable chance of being accepted:
  1. Information and communication technologies, electronics and advanced manufacturing technologies
  2. Product and packaging design
  3. Supply-chain management
  4. Distinct competitive advantages in view of Hong Kong's position relative to Mainland China. For examples, health food and pharmaceuticals based on Chinese medicine and Chinese language based software
  5. Creation of synergy with existing industrial clusters. For examples, multi-media technology for information and entertainment industries; materials technology for textile and garment, plastics, metals and construction industries
  6. Technical competency to solve problems, for examples, in civil engineering, telecommunications and environmental technology
The applicant must provide the following additional information:
  1. The nature, size and financial undertakings of the proposed business activities
  2. The name, address and telephone number of all partners of that business in Hong Kong
  3. The number of local and expatriate employees
The applicant's spouse and dependent children may also live in Hong Kong provided there are sufficient funds and suitable accommodation for them. The limit on their stay is the same as on that of the applicant. They are allowed to take up study in Hong Kong during their stay. Dependents are required to apply to the Immigration Department for permission to work, whether paid or unpaid.
Government Identity Cards
Every adult who enters and is permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days must apply to the Immigration Department for a Hong Kong Identity Card within 30 days of arrival. This should be carried at all times by law. It is also needed to benefit from the government health care system. Children aged 11 years and above need a juvenile identity card.
Applying from Mainland China
Foreign residents living in Mainland China may submit their applications to the Immigration Section of the Office of the Government of the HKSAR in Beijing, 21/F, Tower 1, Henderson Centre, 18 Jianguomen Nei Avenue, Dongcheng District, Beijing 100005, China.
Applying from Taiwan
Chinese residents of Taiwan currently in Taiwan should apply for entry permits to Hong Kong through one of the 21 authorised airline companies. Chinese residents of Taiwan living overseas who wish to come to Hong Kong for visit, employment, training or residence should apply to the nearest consular mission of the People's Republic of China. They may also submit their applications by post directly to the Immigration Department or through their sponsors/references in Hong Kong.Taiwan residents holding a valid 'Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents' (taibao zheng) and a valid entry/exit endorsement for Mainland China may stay for 7 days when they pass through Hong Kong, without the need for a separate entry permit.