The Andorran People, with full liberty and independence, and in the exercise of their own sovereignty, Conscious of the need to conform the institutional structure of Andorra to the new circumstances brought about by the evolution of the geographical, historical and socio-cultural environment in which it is situated, as well as of the need to regulate the relations which the institutions dating back to the Pareatges shall have within this new legal framework, Resolved of the need to be endowed with all the mechanisms leading to juridical security in the exercise of the fundamental rights of the individual, which, although always present and respected in the nature of Andorran society, have not received the protection of any kind of general laws, Eager to use every endeavour to promote values such as liberty, justice, democracy and social progress, and to keep and strengthen the harmonious relations of Andorra with the rest of the world, and especially with the neighbouring countries, on the basis of mutual respect, co-existence and peace, Willing to bring their collaboration and effort to all the common causes of mankind, and especially to those of preserving the integrity of the Earth and guaranteeing an environment fit for life for the coming generations, Desiring that the motto "virtus, unita, fortior" which has presided over the peaceful journey of Andorra over its more than seven hundred years of history, may continue to be a completely valid principle and may always guide the conduct of Andorrans, Approve the present Constitution, in the exercise of their sovereignty
Title I Sovereignty of AndorraArticle 1
1. Andorra is a Democratic and Social independent State abiding by the Rule of Law. Its Official name is Principal Andorra.
2. The Constitution proclaims that the action of the Andorran State is inspired by the principles of respect and promotion of liberty, equality, justice, tolerance, defence of human rights and dignity of the person.
3. Sovereignty is vested in the Andorran People, who exercise it through the different means of participation and by way of the institutions established in this Constitution.
4. The political system of Andorra is a parliamentary Principled.
5. Andorra is composed of the Parroquies of Canillo, Encamp, Ordino, La Massana, Andorra la Vella, Sant Juli, de Lria and Escaldes-Engordany.Article 2
1. Catalan is the official language of the State.
2 The national anthem, the State flag and the coat of arms of Andorra are the traditional ones.
3. Andorra la Vella is the capital of the State.Article 3
1. The present Constitution, which is the highest rule of the legal system, binds all the public institution as well as the individuals.
2. The Constitution recognizes the principles of equality, hierarchy, publicity of the judicial rules, non-retroactivity of the rules restricting individual rights or those that are unfavorable in their effect or sanction, juridical security, accountability of public institutions and prohibition of any kind of arbitrariness.
3. The universally recognized principles of international public law are incorporated into the legal system Andorra.
4. The treaties and international agreements take effect in the legal system from the moment of their publication in the Butlleti Official del Principal Andorra and cannot be amended or repealed by law.