PART X AMENDMENT OF THE CONSTITUTIONArticle 142: Power to amend any provision of the Constitution1.
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Constitution-
- a. any provision thereof may by amended by way of addition, alteration, substitution or repeal] by Act of Parliament:
- Provided that-
- no Bill for such amendment shall be allowed to proceed unless the long title thereof expressly states that it will amend a provision of the Constitution;
- no such Bill shall be presented to the President for assent unless it is passed by the votes of not less than two-thirds of the total number of members of Parliament;
- when a Bill passed as aforesaid is presented to the President for his assent he shall, within the period of seven days after the Bill is presented to him assent to the Bill, and if he fails so to do he shall be deemed to have assented to it on the expiration of that period.
Notwithstanding anything contained in clause (1), when a Bill, passed as a aforesaid,, which provides for the amendment of the Preamble or any provisions of articles 8, 48 0r 56 or this article, is presented to the President for assent, the President, shall within the period of seven days, after the Bill is presented to him, cause to be referred to a referendum the question whether the Bill should or should not be assented to.1B.
A referendum under this article shall be conducted by the Election Commission, within such period and in such manner as may be provided by law, amongst the person enrolled on the electoral roll prepared for the purpose of election to Parliament.1C.
On the day on which the result of the referendum conducted in relation to a Bill under this article is declared, the President shall be deemed to have-
- assented to the Bill, if the majority of the total votes cast are in favour of the Bill being assented to; or (b) Withheld assent therefrom, if the majority of the total votes cast are not in favour of the Bill being assented to 1D Nothing in clause (1C) shall be deemed to be an expression of confidence or no-confidence in the Cabinet or Parliament
Nothing in article 26 shall apply to any amendment made under this article.]