We, the representatives of the Brazilian People, assembled in the National Constituent Assembly to institute a Democratic State for the purpose of ensuring the exercise of social and individual rights, liberty, security, well being, development, equality and justice as supreme values of a fraternal. pluralist and unprejudiced society, based on social harmony and committed, in the internal and international spheres, to the peaceful solution of disputes, promulgate, under the protection of God, this Constitution of the Federative Republic of Brazil.
Title I Fundamental PrinciplesArticle 1: State Principles
0. The Federative Republic of Brazil, formed by the indissoluble union of States and Municipalities, as well as the Federal District, is a legal Democratic State and is founded on:
- the dignity of the individual;
- the social values of work and of free enterprise;
- political pluralism.
1. All power emanates from the people, who exercise it by means of elected representatives or directly, according to this Constitution.Article 2: State Powers
The Legislative, the Executive and the Judiciary, which are independent of and harmonious among each other, are Branches of the Union.Article 3: State Objectives
The fundamental objectives of the Federative Republic of Brazil are:
Article 4: International Relations
- to build a free, just and solidary society;
- to guarantee national development;
- to eradicate poverty and marginal living conditions and to reduce social and regional inequalities;
- to promote the well being of all, without prejudice as to origin, race, sex, color, age, and any other forms of discrimination.
0. The international relations of the federative Republic of Brazil are governed by the following principles:
- national independence;
- prevalence of human rights;
- self determination of peoples;
- non intervention;
- equality among the States;
- defense of peace;
- pacific solution of conflicts;
- repudiation of terrorism and racism;
- cooperation among people for the progress of mankind;
- granting of political asylum.
1. The Federative Republic of Brazil shall seek economic, political, social, and cultural integration of the peoples of Latin America, in order to form a Latin American community of nations.