We, the people of Korea,
proud of a resplendent history and traditions dating from time immemorial,
upholding the cause of the Provisional Republic of Korea Government born of the Independence Movement of 1 March 1919 and the democratic ideals of the uprising on 19 April 1960 against injustice,
having assumed the mission of democratic reform and peaceful unification of our homeland and
having determined to consolidate national unity with Justice, humanitarianism and brotherly love, and
to destroy all social vices and injustice, and
to afford equal opportunities to every person and provide for the fullest development of individual capabilities in all fields, including political, economic, social and cultural life by further strengthening the basic free and democratic order conducive to private initiative and public harmony, and
to help each person discharge those duties and responsibilities concomitant to freedoms and rights, and
to elevate the quality of life for all citizens and contribute to lasting world peace and the common prosperity of mankind and thereby to ensure security, liberty and happiness for ourselves and our posterity forever,
do hereby amend, through national referendum following a resolution by the National Assembly, the Constitution, ordained and established on 12 July 1948, and amended eight times subsequently.Article 1 [Democracy]
(1) The Republic of Korea is a democratic republic.
(2) The sovereignty of the Republic of Korea resides in the people, and all state authority emanates from the people. Article 2 [Nationality]
(1) Nationality in the Republic of Korea is prescribed by law.
(2) It is the duty of the State to protect citizens residing abroad as prescribed by law. Article 3 [Territory]
The territory of the Republic of Korea shall consist of the Korean peninsula and its adjacent islands. Article 4 [Unification, Peace]
The Republic of Korea seeks unification and formulates and carries out a policy of peaceful unification based on the principles of freedom and democracy. Article 5 [War, Armed Forces]
(1) The Republic of Korea endeavors to maintain international peace and renounces all aggressive wars.
(2) The Armed Forces are charged with the sacred mission of national security and the defense of the land and their political neutrality must be maintained. Article 6 [Treaties, Foreigners]
(1) Treaties duly concluded and promulgated under the Constitution and the generally recognized rule of international law have the same effect as the domestic laws of the Republic of Korea.
(2) The status of foreigners is guaranteed as prescribed by international law and treaties. Article 7 [Public Officials]
(1) All public officials are servants of the entire people and responsible to the people.
(2) The status and political impartiality of public officials is guaranteed as prescribed by law. Article 8 [Political Parties]
(1) The establishment of political parties is free, and the plural party system is guaranteed.
(2) Political parties must be democratic in their objectives, organization, and activities, and have the necessary organizational arrangements for the people to participate in the formation of the political will.
(3) Political parties enjoy the protection of the State and may be provided with operational funds by the State under the conditions as prescribed by law.
(4) If the purposes or activities of a political party are contrary to the fundamental democratic order, the Government may bring action against it in the Constitutional Court for its dissolution, and, the political party is dissolved in accordance with the decision of the Constitutional Court. Article 9 [Culture]
The State tries to sustain and develop the cultural heritage and to enhance national culture.