Section-A-1: Oklahoma State System of Higher Education
All institutions of higher education supported wholly or inpart by direct legislative appropriations shall be integral parts of a unified system to be known as "The Oklahoma State System of Higher Education."
Section-A-2: Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education - Establishment - Membership - Appointment - Terms - Vacancy - Powers as coordinating board of control.
There is hereby established the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, consisting of nine (9) members, whose qualifications may be prescribed by law. The Board shall consist of nine (9) members appointed by the Governor, confirmed by the Senate, and who shall be removable only for cause, as provided by law for the removal of officers not subject to impeachment. Upon the taking effect of this Article, the Governor shall appoint the said Regents for terms of office as follows: one for a term of one year, one for a term of two years, one for a term of three years, one for a term of four years, one for a term of five years, one for a term of six years, one for a term of seven years, one for a term of eight years, and one for a term of nine years. Any appointment to fill a vacancy shall be for the balance of the term only. Except as above designated, the term of office of said Regents shall be nine years or until their successors are appointed and qualified. The Regents shall constitute a co-coordinating board of control for all State institutions described in Section 1 hereof, with the following specific powers:
(1) it shall prescribe standards of higher education applicable to each institution;
(2) it shall determine the functions and courses of study in each of the institutions to conform to the standards prescribed;
(3) it shall grant degrees and other forms of academic recognition for completion of the prescribed courses in all of such institutions;
(4) it shall recommend to the State Legislature the budget allocations to each institution, and;
(5) it shall have the power to recommend to the Legislature proposed fees for all of such institutions, and any such fees shall be effective only within the limits prescribed by the Legislature.
Section-A-3: Appropriations - Allocation.
The appropriations made by the Legislature for all such institutions shall be made in consolidated form without reference to any particular institution and the Board of Regents herein created shall allocate to each institution according to its needs and functions.
Section-A-4: Co-ordination of private, denominational and other institutions of higher learning.
Private, denominational, and other institutions of higher learning may become co-ordinate with the State System of Higher Education under regulations set forth by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education.