CHAPTER XA THE PRISON SERVICE99: Prison Service and Commissioner of Prisons
100: Prison Service Commission
- There shall be a Prison Service for the administration of prisons in Zimbabwe and for the protection of society from criminals through the incarceration and rehabilitation of offenders and their re-integration into society.
- Subject to the provisions of an Act of Parliament, the Prison Service shall be under the command of the Commissioner of Prisons, who shall be appointed by the President after consultation with such person or authority as may be prescribed by or under an Act of Parliament.
- An Act of Parliament shall make provision for the organization, administration and discipline of the Prison Service, including the appointment of persons to offices or ranks in the Prison Service, their removal from office or reduction in rank their punishment for breaches of discipline and the fixing of their conditions of service.
100A: Functions of Prison Service Commission
- There shall be a Prison Service Commission which shall consist of--
- a chairman who, subject to the provisions of section 74 (3), shall be the chairman of the Public Service Commission, and
- not less than two and not more than seven other members appointed, subject to the provisions of subsection (2), by the President.
- The persons to be appointed under subsection (1) (b) shall be chosen for their ability and experience in administration or their professional qualifications or their suitability otherwise for appointment as member and at least one such member shall be a person who has held the rank of Superintendent or any more senior rank in the Prison Service for periods which in the aggregate amount to at least five years.
The functions of the Prison Service Commission shall be to tender such advice and do such other things in relation to the Prison Service as are provided for by this Constitution or by or under an Act of Parliament
[Chapter as inserted by section 9 of Act 4 of 1993 with effect from 18.8.1995]