A foreign bank that does not maintain a place of business in this state for the receipt of deposits and that complies with this chapter does not by engaging in this state in any or all of the activities specified in AS 06.10.020 violate the laws of this state relating to doing business or doing a banking business or become subject to any taxation that would otherwise be imposed for doing business or doing a banking business in this state.AS 06.10.020. Authorized Activities.
(a) The activities referred to in AS 06.10.010 are
(1) making loans;
(2) receiving security for loans;
(3) acquiring by assignment or otherwise partial or entire interests in loans or in security for loans;
(4) servicing, collecting, enforcing or otherwise realizing upon loans or upon security for loans or upon interests therein, and holding, managing or disposing of proceeds therefrom; and
(5) entering into and performing contracts and doing other acts necessary or appropriate for or preliminary or incident to any of the foregoing activities.
(b) Loans within the meaning of this section may be
(1) evidenced by negotiable instruments or otherwise; and
(2) unsecured or secured by a lien upon or a pledge of real or personal property or both inside or outside this state.AS 06.10.030. Filing Statement.
Before engaging in this state in any of the activities specified in AS 06.10.020, a foreign bank shall execute and file with the commissioner of commerce, community, and economic development a statement. The statement shall list its name, state of incorporation or organization and principal place of business and shall appoint irrevocably the commissioner of commerce, community, and economic development and the commissioner's successors its agents upon whom may be served process against it in any proceeding or cause of action arising out of its engaging in this state in any of the activities referred to in AS 06.10.020. Until the statement is filed the immunities provided by this chapter do not become operative, but failure to file the statement has no other effect.AS 06.10.035. [Renumbered as AS 06.05.367
Repealed or RenumberedAS 06.10.040. Definitions.
In this chapter
(1) 'foreign bank' means a bank, trust company, savings bank, industrial bank, building and loan association, savings and loan association, credit union or other similar lending organization the principal office of which is in another state whether incorporated or unincorporated and whether acting in its individual capacity or in a fiduciary capacity, but does not include small loan companies of the general character covered by AS 06.20 (Alaska Small Loans Act);
(2) 'state' means any state in the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
This chapter may be cited as the Model Foreign Bank Loan Act.