The Department of Public Safety, acting in cooperation with a municipality or with an agency of the federal government, shall participate in the development and implementation of a statewide avalanche warning system and shall represent the state in the operation of that system. The statewide system shall
(1) establish and maintain a service center and primary and supplementary field stations to gather information and data concerning ground weather conditions, snow pack, and avalanche activity;
(2) forecast snow avalanche conditions throughout the state;
(3) coordinate a public awareness program on avalanche danger;
(4) catalog a comprehensive atlas of avalanche paths and slide occurrences; and
(5) assist local governments and state agencies in identifying hazardous avalanche zones and in developing snow avalanche zoning regulations.