The adjutant general shall appoint a director who is at least an administrative officer three.
There is created within the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs a division of recruitment and retention.
The director shall
(1) take the necessary steps to assure that unemployed guardsmen have the opportunity to acquire employment through the state and federal governments;
(2) keep guardsmen advised of all privileges and benefits available to them from the state and federal governments;
(3) act as a coordinator with the state and federal governments in an effort to increase the availability of education and training programs for guardsmen;
(4) compile a list of guardsmen and their educational and training qualifications and submit it to the federal and state agencies for possible job placement;
(5) prepare a program whereby guardsmen are trained in firefighting and related skills and coordinate this effort with state and federal programs; and
(6) provide counseling service for guardsmen in order to find educational, training, and employment opportunities for them.