CONSUMER PROTECTION LEGISLATION
CCRD Office administers the following consumer protection legislation in the areas of industry regulation, consumer credit and product standards.
- The Alienation of Land Act, 1981(Act No 68 of 1981) stipulates the contents of any contract dealing with the acquisition and disposal of land.
- Competition Act, 1988(Act No. 89 of 1998)promotes and maintain competition so that consumers are provided competitive prices and product choices
- Consumer Affairs (Unfair Business Practices ) Act, 1988 (Act No. 71 of 1988 protects consumers by providing for the prohibition and control of certain business practices.
- Counterfeit Goods Act, 1997(Act No. 37 of 1997) introduces measures aimed against the trade in counterfeit goods, so as to protect consumers or owners/holders of trade marks and copyright against the unlawful application to goods and the release of goods into the channels of commerce.
- Credit Agreements Act, 1980 (Act No 75 of 1980) protects consumers who buy goods on leases, hire- purchase or credit and certain services on credit.
- Estate Agency Affairs Act, 1976 (Act No 112 of 1976) protects consumers who buy or sell property through estate agents.
- Gambling Act, 1996 (Act No. 33 of 1996) protects consumers against too much exposure to gambling.
- Housing Development Schemes for Retired Persons Act, 1988 (Act No 65 of 1988) protects the interests of consumers who acquire life rights in housing development schemes for retired persons.
- Liquor Act, 1989 (Act No. 27 of 1989) protects consumers by creating a framework indicating where and when liquor can be sold.
- Merchandise Marks Act, 1941(Act No.17 of 1941) protects consumers against traders who purposefully mislead by packaging and marking differently, pretending to be the original.
- Property Time Sharing Control Act, 1983 (Act No 75 of 1983) regulates the acquisition and disposal of time-shares pursuant to property time-sharing schemes.
- Registration of Copyright in Cinematograph Films Act, 1977 (Act No. 62 of 1977) protects consumers and holders of cinematograph films against persons who purposefully make false entry in registers, and false copies, knowing that they are false.
- Sale and Service Matters Act, 1964 (Act No 25 of 1964) regulates lay-by agreements, display and marking of goods. Also controls and prohibits sale of goods.
- Trade Metrology Act, 1973 (Act No 77 of 1973) protects consumers from misleading packaging with regard to weights and measurements.
- Trade Practices Act, 1976 (Act No. 76 of 1976) protects consumers against false or misleading advertisements.
- Usury Act, 1968 (Act No 73 of 1968) protects the consumer by providing for the limitation and disclosure of finance charges levied on money lending, credit and leasing transactions.